Garden And Gossip Forums
2023 - What I did today - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+--- Thread: 2023 - What I did today (/showthread.php?tid=1786)

RE: 2023 - What I did today - JJB - 19-07-2023

(18-07-2023, 03:43 PM)Veggie Wrote: I've stopped changing the duvet cover because of the hassle. Instead, I treat the duvet (in a cover) as an eiderdown and put it on top of an ordinary sheet. Now I just wash the sheets. Big Grin

Duvet? What's a duvet? I'm still in sheets, a blanket and counterpane, it's not many years since we got rid of the bolster. P was never keen on a duvet it was too hot or too cold and he nicked it anyway.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Veggie - 19-07-2023

Counterpane!! What a funny word - sounds like something out Hans Anderson's Fairy tales that made of marzipan and peppermint cream.

Planted 8 Brussels sprout plants, staked them and made them a little den, covered in netting to keep the beasties and pigeons away, I hope!
There were 2 baby seedlings so I potted them up for another day.
Pulled some ivy off an old ash stump and found an ants' nest in one side, so I decided to help them demolish the stump by whittling away any loose bark or dry wood. I really enjoy doing this, it appeals to my destructive nature. Wink
The stupidest thing I've done today was attempting to feed the tomatoes with a container of last year's Hotbin juice. It was a ?gallon plastic container so I picked it up by the handle and gave it a good shake. You've guessed, the plastic was brittle and the container sheared off from the handle and emptied itself over my legs, feet and the GH floor. Luckily, its not as smelly as comfrey tea!

RE: 2023 - What I did today - JJB - 19-07-2023

(19-07-2023, 06:26 PM)Veggie Wrote: Counterpane!! What a funny word - sounds like something out Hans Anderson's Fairy tales that made of marzipan and peppermint cream.

You're relating it to frangipane, I expect. Counterpane sounded better than bedspread which smacks of candlewick, now there's another funny word.

(19-07-2023, 08:54 PM)JJB Wrote:
(19-07-2023, 06:26 PM)Veggie Wrote: Counterpane!! What a funny word - sounds like something out Hans Anderson's Fairy tales that made of marzipan and peppermint cream.

You're relating it to frangipane, I expect. Counterpane sounded better than bedspread which smacks of candlewick, now there's another funny word.
Maybe it was Marchpane? As for Candlewick.............it'll be nylon sheets next. Big Grin

RE: 2023 - What I did today - JJB - 20-07-2023

(19-07-2023, 09:18 PM)Veggie Wrote:
(19-07-2023, 08:54 PM)JJB Wrote:

Maybe it was Marchpane? As for Candlewick.............it'll be nylon sheets next. Big Grin
No never, they feel funny,  but it used to be candystripe wincyette ones a long time ago  Big Grin

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Garrett - 21-07-2023

Cleared out the peas and mangetout as they had all dried up and stopped producing. I saved seeds as I went along. 
In their place I planted out some tomato side shoots I'd been growing on. They'll be late, but they're mostly cherry tomatoes and already have flower trusses. 
Fed and tied in the sad looking Diva cucumbers. 

It's forecast to rain here all weekend so I wanted to get those jobs done early.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Veggie - 21-07-2023

I intended to plant some leftover red cabbage and leeks but was waylaid by brambles and nettles (again). If we have the forecast rain over the weekend, it'll be easier to plant the seedlings - that's my excuse. Wink

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Mark_Riga - 21-07-2023

(18-07-2023, 03:43 PM)Veggie Wrote: I've stopped changing the duvet cover because of the hassle. Instead, I treat the duvet (in a cover) as an eiderdown and put it on top of an ordinary sheet. Now I just wash the sheets. Big Grin

Duvets come into their own insulating stored potatoes in a shed. They stop them freezing when frosty or warming up when sunny and are good for excluding light. In fact they could be made for using to store potatoes.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Mark_Riga - 21-07-2023

Went on a demonstration and got picture on local TV news site. Chris is pictured also in second picture.

https://www.itv.com/news/granada/2023-07-21/protesters-tell-water-company-to-stop-the-poo-llution