Garden And Gossip Forums
2023 - What I did today - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+--- Thread: 2023 - What I did today (/showthread.php?tid=1786)

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Garrett - 08-07-2023

Spotted a female flower on one butternut squash plant so hand pollinated with the male flower I found on its neighbour. 
Checked the watermelons and had several female flowers ready to pollinate. Spotted one that looked like it had ready been pollinated. Excited!
Mowed the lawn. 
Spread the grass clippings around the outdoor tomatoes and sweet peppers.
Bagged up some peppers to isolate for seed saving.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Vinny - 08-07-2023

Nothing in the garden today. Long walk with Kato this morning then Barre & ABS Smasher. Managed 50 press ups afterwards.Went to visit Daughter and youngest son and family and Kato is ready for his second walk now, so off I go.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Veggie - 08-07-2023

Potted up some Physalis seedlings, planted lettuce seedlings in GH2, Sowed old cabbage and cauli seeds that are being given a chance.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Scarlet - 08-07-2023

Fed my dahlia's and wateted greenhouse zinnias - used my water butts as it was raining.

Sorted out the water butts, added pipes, removed a leaking one and generally tried to catch as much as possible.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - PyreneesPlot - 09-07-2023

(23-06-2023, 02:13 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote:
(22-06-2023, 10:30 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: Been out all day today and finally got into the garden at 8pm to find masses of blight in the tomatoes  Sad so started stripping out the leaves. Yesterday they were fine, but I noticed a neighbour’s potatoes all blackened as we came home this evening!
Tomorrow I'll take off all but the top set of leaves. It's rained pretty much every day since the start of May so no great surprise. Bloody infuriating as we'll probably get nothing this year. Cabbages are great, though Smile
Blight in June, so disheartening! Definitely worth considering blight resistant hybrids for next year? We have had a lot of septoria on the potatoes and it spread to the tomatoes early in the season. Luckily taking off the affected leaves stopped its spread but I would've been very upset if I lost all my tomato plants so early.

I ended up cutting all the plants down to the ground a few days later as the blight was in the stems. So far about a third of the 42 plants are regrowing and fingers crossed are blight free! We may get a few fresh tomatoes yet. 
Do you have recommendations for blight resistant varieties with flavour being the most important thing?! Thanks Smile

RE: 2023 - What I did today - toomanytommytoes - 10-07-2023

(09-07-2023, 01:40 AM)PyreneesPlot Wrote:
(23-06-2023, 02:13 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote:
(22-06-2023, 10:30 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: Been out all day today and finally got into the garden at 8pm to find masses of blight in the tomatoes  Sad so started stripping out the leaves. Yesterday they were fine, but I noticed a neighbour’s potatoes all blackened as we came home this evening!
Tomorrow I'll take off all but the top set of leaves. It's rained pretty much every day since the start of May so no great surprise. Bloody infuriating as we'll probably get nothing this year. Cabbages are great, though Smile
Blight in June, so disheartening! Definitely worth considering blight resistant hybrids for next year? We have had a lot of septoria on the potatoes and it spread to the tomatoes early in the season. Luckily taking off the affected leaves stopped its spread but I would've been very upset if I lost all my tomato plants so early.

I ended up cutting all the plants down to the ground a few days later as the blight was in the stems. So far about a third of the 42 plants are regrowing and fingers crossed are blight free! We may get a few fresh tomatoes yet. 
Do you have recommendations for blight resistant varieties with flavour being the most important thing?! Thanks Smile
Pink Honeymoon and Rose Crush were really nice tasting last year, Pink Honeymoon especially. This year I'm trying another one called Oh Happy Day, I'll report back on the flavour when I get a ripe one. Burpee seem to be coming out with new blight resistant varieties every year - https://www.burpeeeurope.com/tomatoes/

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Vinny - 12-07-2023

Delivered yesterday and finished transporting and stacking today! Cool This should keep me snug and warm well into the new year. Smile Once again my biggest charge for Gas & Electric will be the standing charge just for having it in! Rolleyes

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Small chilli - 12-07-2023

Spent most of the day tying knots. Infuriating! Making a hand fasting rope thing for a wedding.
This afternoon I carried on with building the ferret run.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Veggie - 12-07-2023

Weeding the rockery this morning.
1PM, took 2 of the dogs, Bess and Spud, to the groomers for a short back and sides. Ted doesn't mind me cutting his fur, he goes to sleep while I'm doing it. Wish the other 2 were as good, it would save me a fortune!
Since I was the other side of the city, I went to Farm Foods and bought a lot of butter (£1.29 a packet) and some other odds and ends then came home and resumed weeding the rockery.
The groomer brought the dogs back this evening - they look very different. Ted wasn't impressed - he clearly doesn't like the way they smell.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - JJB - 12-07-2023

A day trip to IOW just to check things in the flat. At this time of year the garden doesn't like me going away for long. As it is the cucumbers are taking over the world.