Garden And Gossip Forums
2023 - What I did today - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+--- Thread: 2023 - What I did today (/showthread.php?tid=1786)

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Farendwoman - 23-06-2023

We lost all our toms to blight two years ago in June, shortly after digging out an adjacent patch of rampant mint.
Suspect that the blight spores were thrown up by the digging close by.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Mark_Riga - 23-06-2023

About 4lb of strawberry jam, some blackcurrants and lemon added to help setting. Fixed more holes in roof of fruit cage. Not sure it is squirrels making them, could be blackbirds.

We have got a reasonable crop of cherries ripening but whether we will get any is another matter. Last year the squirrels took the whole crop long before any of it was ripe. This year, so far I've not seen them in the cage but plenty of holes.

Cherries today:

[attachment=6693]  [attachment=6694]

The 2 spotted fruit fly or whatever should be due about now I would think also.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Bren - 24-06-2023

Mostly weeding but I did pot up some self-seeded oregano and lemon balm for a friend.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - doublyjonah - 24-06-2023

(24-06-2023, 08:46 AM)Bren Wrote: Mostly weeding but I did pot up some self-seeded  oregano and lemon balm for a friend.
I have to laugh because I've also potted up self-seeded lemon balm and oregano for a friend this week. They existed on the allotment before we arrived and keep on going (and going).

RE: 2023 - What I did today - JJB - 24-06-2023

(23-06-2023, 11:55 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote: About 4lb of strawberry jam, some blackcurrants and lemon added to help setting. Fixed more holes in roof of fruit cage. Not sure it is squirrels making them, could be blackbirds.

We have got a reasonable crop of cherries ripening but whether we will get any is another matter. Last year the squirrels took the whole crop long before any of it was ripe. This year, so far I've not seen them in the cage but plenty of holes.

Cherries today:

The 2 spotted fruit fly or whatever should be due about now I would think also.

Lovely cherries Mark, I'm dead jealous.  My one and only tree hasn't set any fruit at all. The birds and I are disappointed.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - JJB - 24-06-2023

Tidying up all the stuff lying around, pots of dead who knows what. Planted some straggly toms in any spare foot of ground. It's depressing there's still a lot left. Greenhouse pruning. Covered the few tayberry fruit with net bags. I got there before the blackbirds this year. Planted out PSB and covered with net. Watered.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Bren - 24-06-2023

This afternoon I’ve attached wire/plastic netting for my GH cucs to grow up.
Next year hopefully I’ll remember to do it before I plant them.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Veggie - 24-06-2023

The usual round of watering the GHs and tying in toms and cukes. Also watered the courgettes in the old pond. Still waiting for rain. I've lost count of the number of thunderstorms we've been threatened with, that haven't materialised. The raspberries are looking very dry and yellowing.
DON'T read this if you're eating. Big Grin
Ted caught a mole today and had crunched it up before I managed to retrieve it from him. Mole doesn't agree with his stomach as he then was sick in his bed and a short while later, on the kitchen rug. Why can't dogs throw up outside, or even on the tiled floor where its easier to clean up.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Farendwoman - 24-06-2023

(24-06-2023, 09:25 AM)JJB Wrote: Tidying up all the stuff lying around, pots of dead who knows what. Planted some straggly toms in any spare foot of ground. It's depressing there's still a lot left.  Greenhouse pruning. Covered the few tayberry fruit with net bags. I got there before the blackbirds this year. Planted out PSB and covered with net. Watered.
Can identify with all the pots of dead who knows what! and all the straggly tomatoes needing a home - any home - anywhere !

RE: 2023 - What I did today - JJB - 25-06-2023

(24-06-2023, 10:41 PM)Farendwoman Wrote:
(24-06-2023, 09:25 AM)JJB Wrote: Tidying up all the stuff lying around, pots of dead who knows what. Planted some straggly toms in any spare foot of ground. It's depressing there's still a lot left.  Greenhouse pruning. Covered the few tayberry fruit with net bags. I got there before the blackbirds this year. Planted out PSB and covered with net. Watered.
Can identify with all the pots of dead who knows what! and all the straggly tomatoes needing a home - any home - anywhere !

The sad thing is they rarely thrive in the odd spots. Both veg plots are full to bursting, I'm waiting to pull out the MT to get a bit of ground free.