Garden And Gossip Forums
2023 - What I did today - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+--- Thread: 2023 - What I did today (/showthread.php?tid=1786)

RE: 2023 - What I did today - PyreneesPlot - 21-06-2023

Planted out green and yellow haricot, climbing yard long beans, beetroot, mixed chard, sweetcorn.
Finished renovating some of the drainage ditches in the meadow to try and stop the water torrenting down the drive with every thunderstorm now that the ground is totally waterlogged.
Pruned the vines, weeded the herb bed.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - JJB - 21-06-2023

More darning of the fruit cage where mice have chewed their way in. Caught one but he's told his mates of the lovely strawberries to be had. We had already, several years ago reinforced the lower foot with chicken wire, now the squirrels or mice have climbed above the wire to gnaw the plastic. I've now blanked out the lower 18" with fleece on the assumption that if the vermin can't see the fruit they may leave the cage alone. Sounds a bit simplistic but it has worked with rabbits in the past.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Veggie - 21-06-2023

Planted some cucumbers in GH2 - Tanja, Wautoma and Miniature White. I've never grown so many cucumber plants and I still have more to plant outdoors.
Also cleared some ground and finally planted The Czar runner beans (for dry beans) .
Still waiting for rain.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Admin - 21-06-2023

First full day at the plots for a while, planted out more

Sweetcorn (Swift) 16
Butternut (Waltham) 4
Squash (Crown Prince) 4
Courgette (Green Bush) 2
Red Cabbage (Red Acre) 3

RE: 2023 - What I did today - PyreneesPlot - 22-06-2023

Been out all day today and finally got into the garden at 8pm to find masses of blight in the tomatoes  Sad so started stripping out the leaves. Yesterday they were fine, but I noticed a neighbour’s potatoes all blackened as we came home this evening!
Tomorrow I'll take off all but the top set of leaves. It's rained pretty much every day since the start of May so no great surprise. Bloody infuriating as we'll probably get nothing this year. Cabbages are great, though Smile

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Small chilli - 22-06-2023

Dead heading lots of things. Fed chillies

RE: 2023 - What I did today - doublyjonah - 22-06-2023

A bit of weeding and planting out and harvesting then got absolutely drenched in the rain. I checked the forecast but should have heeded the darkening sky!

Got a prompt reply to my empty seed packet email this morning and a confirmation email that a replacement has been dispatched. Woohoo.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Veggie - 22-06-2023

Which company was that, DJ?

RE: 2023 - What I did today - doublyjonah - 23-06-2023

(22-06-2023, 11:51 PM)Veggie Wrote: Which company was that, DJ?
Premier Seeds Direct. Always had great experiences with them.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - toomanytommytoes - 23-06-2023

(22-06-2023, 10:30 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: Been out all day today and finally got into the garden at 8pm to find masses of blight in the tomatoes  Sad so started stripping out the leaves. Yesterday they were fine, but I noticed a neighbour’s potatoes all blackened as we came home this evening!
Tomorrow I'll take off all but the top set of leaves. It's rained pretty much every day since the start of May so no great surprise. Bloody infuriating as we'll probably get nothing this year. Cabbages are great, though Smile
Blight in June, so disheartening! Definitely worth considering blight resistant hybrids for next year? We have had a lot of septoria on the potatoes and it spread to the tomatoes early in the season. Luckily taking off the affected leaves stopped its spread but I would've been very upset if I lost all my tomato plants so early.