Garden And Gossip Forums
2023 - What I did today - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+--- Thread: 2023 - What I did today (/showthread.php?tid=1786)

RE: 2023 - What I did today - JJB - 27-05-2023

Yesterday I planted out a couple of trombas to climb up the climbing frame. Planted out morning glory sunshine seranade in amongst the self seeders from Garret's Grandpa Otts also bunged in the odd nasturtium to grow up the wall. I set out pegs to determine where the sweetcorn will be planted to reserve their space. Planted out kohl rabi and kale and covered against pigeons. Had to get the hose out to water the beans, it pains me but it's less hassle than watering cans.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - JJB - 27-05-2023

Well another day of planting out, a third tromba, CFB Tresnawhatsit, and a patio tomato Minibel. Lots of weeding, digging and bashing very hard ground. There are cracks forming in the ground due to the dry weather Sad. Much shuffling of trays and pots.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Veggie - 27-05-2023

I've been carrying out an archaeological dig in the old pond, working my way down through the layers
Top layer - gravel and sediment.
Layer 2. - Pond liner
Layer 3 - some sort of fabric to protect the underside of the liner.
Layer 4 - bubblewrap
Layer 5 - carpet
Layer 6 - a big red rug that used to be in the hall! Never thought I'd see it again.
Not sure what lies beneath the rug - I think its a pine table top!! Maybe tomorrow I'll find out. Big Grin

The gravel has to be constantly raked around the pond because it weighs down the other stuff which needs to be removed.
I've also found a metal "Rat" and a stone tortoise that had fallen in the pond.
The pond liner has been spread out on the grass to dry the mud and the dogs think its just for them to play on. They've been chasing each other round in circles on it.

I've no idea where I'm going to find enough soil to refill the pond, Its deeper than I remembered.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - doublyjonah - 27-05-2023

Went to the allotment for naptime while my oldest went to gym class with my husband. Weeded a bit, planted out dahlias, Hunter CFB, and straw flowers although the latter were tiny. Watered a few new things. Chatted. Had to leave some tomatoes in small pots. Have them a water but not sure they'll be in a good state after the weekend.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Small chilli - 27-05-2023

A big day in the gardens after work today.
Moved I think the last load of pot plants ready for going. Then we get to start on all the big tubs & fish boxes. Re potted a couple of thing that a friend gave me last year. 5 things all potted in one bucket. I was going to move them like that. Until I spotted either very young broom or mares tail. I wasn’t will to take the risk. So they go separate and repotted individually. Put all my spare strawberries into one big pot instead of lots of small individual pots. Filled a hanging basket ready for a tomato. Then went up to my garden. Finished putting the rocks around bed 2. Bob helped. I’ve run out of talent when it comes to moving the rocks that are left. Planted my tomato in the tunnel. Fed the potatoes.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Bren - 28-05-2023

Potted on Kales, planted cutting celery and put cucs into their final buckets.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Proserpina - 28-05-2023

(27-05-2023, 07:16 PM)Veggie Wrote: I've been carrying out an archaeological dig in the old pond, working my way down through the layers
Top layer - gravel and sediment.
Layer 2. - Pond liner
Layer 3 - some sort of fabric to protect the underside of the liner.
Layer 4 - bubblewrap
Layer 5 - carpet
Layer 6 - a big red rug that used to be in the hall! Never thought I'd see it again.
Not sure what lies beneath the rug - I think its a pine table top!! Maybe tomorrow I'll find out. Big Grin

The gravel has to be constantly raked around the pond because it weighs down the other stuff which needs to be removed.
I've also found a metal "Rat" and a stone tortoise that had fallen in the pond.
The pond liner has been spread out on the grass to dry the mud and the dogs think its just for them to play on. They've been chasing each other round in circles on it.

I've no idea where I'm going to find enough soil to refill the pond, Its deeper than I remembered.

Could you fill the hole lasagne style? Or like a hugelkultur mound that just comes up to surface level? I suspect you've got lots of woody bits dotted about that you can chuck in. It will sink over the years, but that can be a problem for future years unless you are planning to put a greenhouse on top!

Yesterday, I decided it was time to start planting seedlings out that have been hardening off over the last week. Amongst them, were my lovingly grown sweetcorn seedlings, of which I had just enough to make a decent block. Planted them out and then a huge number of strawflowers (and still more to go!), some gazanias, and dahlias and went inside for a drink.

When I came back out, about a third of the sweetcorn seedlings had been pulled up and nipped off from their roots. Utterly destroyed. Everything else was completely untouched. I'm not sure what about the sweetcorn was so completely irresistible, but I suspect that I will have lost the rest by the time I get out there today. Pretty gutted.

I think the wood pigeons are probably the guilty party. I found half a wood pigeon in the garden last week and gave it a respectful burial. Tempted to dig it up and put it on a stake next to my sweetcorn now!!

RE: 2023 - What I did today - JJB - 28-05-2023

(28-05-2023, 11:00 AM)Proserpina Wrote: Yesterday, I decided it was time to start planting seedlings out that have been hardening off over the last week. Amongst them, were my lovingly grown sweetcorn seedlings, of which I had just enough to make a decent block. Planted them out and then a huge number of strawflowers (and still more to go!), some gazanias, and dahlias and went inside for a drink.

When I came back out, about a third of the sweetcorn seedlings had been pulled up and nipped off from their roots. Utterly destroyed. Everything else was completely untouched. I'm not sure what about the sweetcorn was so completely irresistible, but I suspect that I will have lost the rest by the time I get out there today. Pretty gutted.

I think the wood pigeons are probably the guilty party. I found half a wood pigeon in the garden last week and gave it a respectful burial. Tempted to dig it up and put it on a stake next to my sweetcorn now!!

That is so disappointing, get a gun  Big Grin  you might get away with sowing again.

Strangely, no more attacks on the sweetcorn, so maybe I will sow more.

Today is perfect gardening weather: overcast but not raining or cold. Much nicer than the heat yesterday. I am having a day of planting out seedlings. I find it so hard to discard any, and I have backups for most things. I've only planted out half my courgette seedlings. Nine isn't too many for one person, right? Big Grin