Garden And Gossip Forums
2023 - What I did today - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+--- Thread: 2023 - What I did today (/showthread.php?tid=1786)

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Can the Man - 17-05-2023

Finished clipping my hedge, then dug out my first spuds of the season. Have a look at the Spuds2023 thread for some photos.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - JJB - 18-05-2023

I gave up waiting for sign of life in my carrots and resowed them all. I've no idea what I do wrong. I checked viability and figured it was warm enough., etc.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - MartinH - 18-05-2023

(18-05-2023, 08:54 AM)JJB Wrote: I gave up waiting for sign of life in my carrots and resowed them all. I've no idea what I do wrong. I checked viability and figured it was warm enough., etc.
That often happens to me. In my case it's because a slug or snail went along the row eating them just as they were emerging.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - doublyjonah - 18-05-2023

Planted out some tomatoes, calendula, and something else, I'm sure. Watered a few things. Lamented how the birds are eating everything and breaking the stuff they're not eating when they're barging through. Covered a few things over, hopefully well enough that the birds can't get tangled in the netting. I'm getting rid of the plastic netting this year as it's awful to deal with, breaking down, and half or more is from previous plot holders, so in really bad shape. Got permission to scavenge the chain link fence in a forgotten corner of the site, hopefully to place horizontally on clear beds to keep cats off. Could conceivably cut it half height to make enclosures for beds that are easy to net. Left a few herbs in pots on the path to hopefully plant out tomorrow.

Heard sad tales of typically prolific tomato growers on the sister allotment site who have all but given up this year after the poor spring. My tomatoes are puny but they're getting their chance outside. Good luck, fellas.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Can the Man - 18-05-2023

I moved my miniature cherry tree into the poly tunnel as there are lots of cherry’s on it, if I left it outside there wouldn’t be a cherry when they ripen.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Veggie - 18-05-2023

Filled a wheelie bin with Cow Parsley, Forget me nots, Landcress and some other prolific self seeders that I can live without. Bunged in some Montbretia as no garden waste bin is allowed off the premises without some.
Weeded the rockery.
Planted a perennial kale cutting in an obscure spot. So obscure, I've forgotten where I planted it!

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Bren - 18-05-2023

Emptied then pressure washed GH and fitted a new auto-vent.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - PyreneesPlot - 18-05-2023

Got the roofed tomato frame built and the tomatoes planted out under it, plus some basil, corn and some Mexican marigolds.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Can the Man - 18-05-2023

Dug over the raised bed that I got the spuds out of last night and planted 12 tomato plants.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Mark_Riga - 18-05-2023

Planted out most brassicas: long term ones like brussels and purple sprouting and quicker growing ones; caulis and summer cabbage. Need to net them with butterfly proof stuff but covered temporarily to keep the pigeons off. Then planted out courgettes and that was about it.
Are the days getting shorter as I don't seem to get done as much in a day as I used to?
The quinoa I sowed a few days ago are germinating already. I'll have to deal with those soon.