Garden And Gossip Forums
2023 - What I did today - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+--- Thread: 2023 - What I did today (/showthread.php?tid=1786)

RE: 2023 - What I did today - JJB - 24-02-2023

(24-02-2023, 10:32 AM)Mark_Riga Wrote:
(23-02-2023, 09:59 AM)JJB Wrote:
(20-02-2023, 08:52 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote: Washed the big greenhouse inside and out with Jeys Fluid.

When I had tomato mould problems, to get into the gh nooks and crannies I bought a hand held steam cleaner to blitz the areas I couldn't scrub. I tried J's but it made the plastic glazing strips go sticky. Thanks for the reminder to give the gh a clean.

Sounds a really good idea. That would probably deal with any lurking spider mites as well. Can they be used for ironing as well? Did you use it near the glass as well?

Mine's a Beldray, see pic. It wasn't expensive, I got it in B&M. Yes the glass coped with the heat although i was rather careful. No it doesn't iron, it's more of a grout and oven crevice cleaner.

[attachment=5846]

Lidl have one in store this week (23/2) for £22.99 but I'm not sure it has brushes with it

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Small chilli - 24-02-2023

One of the beds I used last year has now been emptied and covered.
My bean frame has been taken down.
Emptied a couple of pots that had gladioli and the evil spreading thing I can never remember the name of (begin with M and Veggie hate’s it ). Gladioli didn’t grow last year. I didn’t realise they needed pampering! (Never going to happen). So it was just 2 pot of evil stuff. So after emptying I picked out as many as I could find and they’re now drowning in a bucket.
Repotted a rudbeckia and an echinacea

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Veggie - 24-02-2023

Shredded stuff and had a bonfire with the rest of the prunings.
Put the shredded wood in a dustbin - it'll be used for energising the hotbin.
Sowed seeds - see What I sowed today.
Cleared some ground and smashed up some rotten logs that used to have pots on top - spread the rotten wood on the cleared ground.
A good day. Big Grin

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Mark_Riga - 24-02-2023

(22-02-2023, 12:25 AM)Veggie Wrote: Cut the grass!! ^^^ Wow!

Not me, I did some more clearing in the GH, tied in the Bijou mangetout that are going bonkers in the GH roof.  Pruned some crossing shoots out of the blackcurrant bushes which I'll shove in the ground somewhere to create a new blackcurrant patch.
The garden is turning yellow now - with hazel catkins, daffodils and forsythia in flower. Really feeling spring like out there (apart from the weather).

Quite a few queen wasps flying round here thinking spring has arrived - seen at least 5 in the past week, 2 today. If a nest starts now and survives, it will be massive by autumn.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Veggie - 24-02-2023

Found a queen bee, indoors, on an upstairs windowsill today. She was very drowsy so I picked her up and carried her downstairs and put her on a camellia flower that's a magnet for bees. Unfortunately, she was so drowsy she fell off!

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Small chilli - 25-02-2023

Planted up a fish box with flowers for cutting. It’s in the polytunnel, it’ll be going out when weather is warmer.
Sown more flowers for cutting.
Lots of pottering about. Put all the tins of paint away that have been in the tunnel since I started the sales barrow makeover.
Took all the bling of my pimped shed. Apart from the artificial flowers, I found things hibernating behind them so they can stay for now.
Did a bit more work on the Perspex that will be the windows for the sales barrow.
Did some seed shuffling.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - JJB - 25-02-2023

Pricked out various varieties of onions grown from seed. Then decided it was too cold to stay out.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Veggie - 25-02-2023

Went to a Seedswap and offloaded a lot of unwanted seeds. Picked up a few that looked interesting.
Walked down the garden to check on the Taunton Deane kale cuttings I planted recently. Pesky vermin had burrowed beneath one and toppled it over. Potted it up and its recovering in GH2.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Scarlet - 25-02-2023

(13-02-2023, 06:06 PM)Farendwoman Wrote: I remember seeing a youtube posting about rooting the long bits of sweet pea shoots that you cut off.
Anybody tried this????
Not the long/tendril bits? But the tips root really quickly.
Also the tips of snap dragons root too... you cab double your plants for both. Eapecially good if sowing F1 snaps

RE: 2023 - What I did today - JJB - 26-02-2023

After being spurred on by Mark, I washed GH1 inside and out with soapy water. All went well until I broke P's long handled squeegee sponge. Oops. I'm not flavour of the month. I'll get another one because it makes the job so much easier and just getting a bit of grime off the panes has made a noticeable difference to the light levels. Next month if its too sunny I'll be shading, you can't win.