Garden And Gossip Forums
2023 - What I did today - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+--- Thread: 2023 - What I did today (/showthread.php?tid=1786)

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Veggie - 22-02-2023

Cut back the Jostaberries and blackcurrants as it was impossible to walk between the bushes. Have a bucketful of cuttings now.
Attacked the brambles at the end of the garden and hacked my way into the future veg plot - not sure how far into the future it will be.
A satisfying day Big Grin

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Vinny - 23-02-2023

(22-02-2023, 05:55 PM)Veggie Wrote: Cut back the Jostaberries and blackcurrants as it was impossible to walk between the bushes. Have a bucketful of cuttings now.
Attacked the brambles at the end of the garden and hacked my way into the future veg plot - not sure how far into the future it will be.
A satisfying day Big Grin
Sounds like jungle warfare! Rolleyes

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Farendwoman - 23-02-2023

(20-02-2023, 08:05 PM)SarrissUK Wrote: Oh no, FEW, I'm sorry to hear that! Any chance to claim on house insurance?
Nope. Tried that. But thanks for the suggestion.Because it wasn’t listed on our household list of old technology such as desktops, laptops, phones etc, then it wasn’t covered. But even do it would have been a three hundred pound excess. (Which obviously would have helped greatly!)

Farendwoman - Farendwoman - 23-02-2023

(22-02-2023, 12:25 AM)Veggie Wrote: Cut the grass!! ^^^ Wow!

Not me, I did some more clearing in the GH, tied in the Bijou mangetout that are going bonkers in the GH roof.  Pruned some crossing shoots out of the blackcurrant bushes which I'll shove in the ground somewhere to create a new blackcurrant patch.
The garden is turning yellow now - with hazel catkins, daffodils and forsythia in flower. Really feeling spring like out there (apart from the weather).
Sounds beautiful!

RE: 2023 - What I did today - JJB - 23-02-2023

(20-02-2023, 08:52 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote: Washed the big greenhouse inside and out with Jeys Fluid. Not sure if that will be sufficient to get rid of red spider mite and tomato leaf mould. I tried to get it into all the nooks and cranies (whatever they are). I don't think greenhouses are generally designed with disinfecting thoroughly in mind. I used a hosepipe to wash it down afterwards and there are now some very muddy patches. I must remember to do this a lot earlier in the Winter to give the soil time to dry out.

When I had tomato mould problems, to get into the gh nooks and crannies I bought a hand held steam cleaner to blitz the areas I couldn't scrub. I tried J's but it made the plastic glazing strips go sticky. Thanks for the reminder to give the gh a clean.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - JJB - 23-02-2023

(20-02-2023, 07:49 PM)Farendwoman Wrote: What I did today ….. borrowed my daughter’s iPad.
Knocked it off the table onto a tiled kitchen floor.
Smashed the screen - got a quote to fix it - £565 !
That’s the next six or seven weeks at the Market down the pan!
Boooo hooooo!!

So sorry FEW, you must be sick to your stomach. Its one thing to break your own stuff but doubly distressing that it was your daughter's.  Here's hoping market trade is good.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Veggie - 23-02-2023

Planted 3 Taunton Deane perennial kale cuttings and 2 Broad bean plants I'd forgotten about in the Veg plot.
Planted 4 supermarket parsley pots and one coriander pot under an apple tree.
Pricked out some cauliflower seedlings into bigger modules.
Added some rooted watercress (saved from a free salad bag) to the watercress pond in a dog's bed.
Filled some modules with compost and brought it into the kitchen to warm up.

Spotted a tunnel going into a compost bin so I tipped it over and disturbed a huge rat!! That compost bin will be relocated.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Farendwoman - 23-02-2023

Potted up some more muscari Ivor’s Pink.Very pretty little things.
Also tied three bunches for tomorrow’s Market. Not much available - just a bit of viburnum, forsythia, daffodils, catkins and bamboo leaves.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - JJB - 24-02-2023

Filled some modules and brought them indoors to warm up, you never know I might sow summat.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Mark_Riga - 24-02-2023

(23-02-2023, 09:59 AM)JJB Wrote:
(20-02-2023, 08:52 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote: Washed the big greenhouse inside and out with Jeys Fluid.

When I had tomato mould problems, to get into the gh nooks and crannies I bought a hand held steam cleaner to blitz the areas I couldn't scrub. I tried J's but it made the plastic glazing strips go sticky. Thanks for the reminder to give the gh a clean.

Sounds a really good idea. That would probably deal with any lurking spider mites as well. Can they be used for ironing as well? Did you use it near the glass as well?