Garden And Gossip Forums
2023 - What I did today - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+--- Thread: 2023 - What I did today (/showthread.php?tid=1786)

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Admin - 22-10-2023

(22-10-2023, 09:01 AM)JJB Wrote:
(21-10-2023, 07:22 PM)Admin Wrote: Spent a few hours cleaning strawberry runners ready for the fridge. The cold will make them dormant ready for potting Feb.

Never thought of doing that, I'm off to research.

Jen when I prepare mine, I do the following.

Separate runners from parent when roots appear.
Wash the roots, checking for pests.
Cut all foliage of 2" above the crown but leave any new shoots on.
Alow to air dry in the greenhouse.
Put into a clean plastic bag and leave open.
Put them in the fridge

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Small chilli - 22-10-2023

Replanted a couple of my daffodils. A friend’s dog got bored while we were chatting and wondered off to dig up some bulbs   Rolleyes . Collected some seeds. Watered some pots & hanging baskets.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Veggie - 22-10-2023

Cleared some more tomato and cucumber plants into the Hotbin. Tied up the mangetout in GH2.
Acquired 2 orchids from the free site and repotted them in woodchip.
Watered the GHs and found lots of top growth on the ginger root and the start of green shoots on the turmeric. The lemon grass is doing well too.
Raked more grass from the veg end. Its only been mown once this year so there's rather a lot!

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Small chilli - 23-10-2023

Made seed envelopes and wrote on them all. Ready for filling for the swap.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Veggie - 23-10-2023

Took out a few more tomato plants from the GH. They're mostly cherry toms and the fruit are splitting. Not wasted though as the dogs queue up for a tomato.
Also cut off some sunflower heads that were a bit damp. Some seeds have been shed already but I'll dry them off indoors and hope to save some seeds from them.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Can the Man - 24-10-2023

(23-10-2023, 09:50 PM)Veggie Wrote: Took out a few more tomato plants from the GH. They're mostly cherry toms and the fruit are splitting. Not wasted though as the dogs queue up for a tomato.
Also cut off some sunflower heads that were a bit damp. Some seeds have been shed already but I'll dry them off indoors and hope to save some seeds from them.
Funny your dogs eating tomatoes, my daughters 2 labs love carrots

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Admin - 24-10-2023

Today marks the start of plot 4....strimmer at the ready. No doubt I will regret this

RE: 2023 - What I did today - JJB - 24-10-2023

(22-10-2023, 06:15 PM)Admin Wrote:
(21-10-2023, 07:22 PM)Admin Wrote: Spent a few hours cleaning strawberry runners ready for the fridge. The cold will make them dormant ready for potting Feb.

Put them in the fridge

What is the advantage of chilling them over my rather haphazard way of pinning the runners into pots to get new plants which then eventually get planted out having spent the winter just sitting there?

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Admin - 24-10-2023

(24-10-2023, 10:18 AM)JJB Wrote:
(22-10-2023, 06:15 PM)Admin Wrote:

Put them in the fridge

What is the advantage of chilling them over my rather haphazard way of pinning the runners into pots to get new plants which then eventually get planted out having spent the winter just sitting there?
In a word, none Big Grin

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Small chilli - 24-10-2023

Seeds now in the envelopes I made yesterday.