Garden And Gossip Forums
Flower seed ID please - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: Flowers and Ornamentals (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Forum: All about Flowers and Ornamentals (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: Flower seed ID please (/showthread.php?tid=1745)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Flower seed ID please - JJB - 11-11-2022

I have a plastic bag full of seeds that I have no recollection saving.  Here's  a pic of seeds, dry petals and heads. Anyone knowledgeable have any idea? It might be a tall oxeye daisy but looking online at oxeye seeds they're not quite the same.

[attachment=5603]

PS if anyone want some daft potluck unidentified seeds speak up..............I'm sure I hear the deafening silence ?

RE: Flower seed ID please - Veggie - 11-11-2022

Is it a Helichrysum/dried flower?
I'm always interested in potluck Wink

RE: Flower seed ID please - JJB - 11-11-2022

Too late the seeds went in the post an hour ago. Tell you what. I'll grow some and see what they are and if theyre anything unusual I'll send in next year's swap. I thought of helychrysum but I haven't grown any good enough to save seed from nor do I have any pals who might have given me some

RE: Flower seed ID please - Scarlet - 11-11-2022

I think they maybe rudbeckia

(11-11-2022, 05:16 PM)Scarlet Wrote: I think they maybe rudbeckia

That's a possibility, I did have one or two plants. The senility is setting in as I can't remember collecting them.  Spring time is going to be full of surprises  Smile

RE: Flower seed ID please - Scarlet - 11-11-2022

I cant zoom in much on my phone before the image gets too blurred...but they look so familiar.

RE: Flower seed ID please - Moth - 11-11-2022

They look like cornflower seeds to me.

Or could they be corn marigolds?

(11-11-2022, 09:54 PM)Moth Wrote: They look like cornflower seeds to me.

Or could they be corn marigolds?

Unlikely, I've never grown corn marigolds (not sure what they are) and don't have cornflowers and neither have anyone around me, but thanks for trying. I might even sow some on the windowsill to see if I can ID the seedlings.

RE: Flower seed ID please - Farendwoman - 12-11-2022

Look like helichrysum to me too.
Seeds don’t look like rudbeckia - they’re usually longer, thinner and more tapered.

RE: Flower seed ID please - JJB - 12-11-2022

Whilst I agree the seed heads look like helichrysum,  I hesitate because I have a good handful or more of these unknown seeds but only had one very weedy plant of helichrysum growing last year with only one or two flowers. A photo I found on the Web doesn't convince me either.

[attachment=5604]   and I'm gravitating towards the tall daisy thingy I've got. I'm perplexed why I saved seed as I could easily divide the clumps to propagate. Maybe I thought they'd be good for seed swap. Who knows. Lesson learnt LABEL THE SEEDS!   Rolleyes I'll sow some on the windowsill then perhaps I can compare leaves at least.
Thanks so much for all the help.