Garden And Gossip Forums
2023 - Pumpkin competition - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Competitions (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=43)
+--- Thread: 2023 - Pumpkin competition (/showthread.php?tid=1711)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: 2023 - Pumpkin competition - doublyjonah - 12-08-2023

They have calculators to estimate weight based on a few measurements. Not that I've been spending way too much time thinking about this pumpkin.

Excuse me while I head off to ponder whether I'm willing to be seen tucking my pumpkin in with a white sheet at the allotment (to keep the sun from ripening and hardening the skin)...

I didn't water at all the last month during the rain. I watered Wednesday and Friday (well, in the general vicinity since it's a jungle). I can't make it to the plot as often as I had been but I'll probably water any day that hasn't rained when I do go down.

RE: 2023 - Pumpkin competition - JJB - 12-08-2023

Oh, I hadn't thought about shading Piglet. I have a lot to learn about competition pumpkin growing. This could become a tad obsessive- I blame Veggie.

RE: 2023 - Pumpkin competition - Small chilli - 12-08-2023

I do water every day and feed every other day. But then my pumpkin is in the polytunnel and in a pot.
As well as providing shade you’re supposed to shelter from the rain and strong winds ( why I grow mine in the tunnel ).
I thought there would be a calculation somewhere for measuring the weight. Not looked into that yet. I think there’s a fairly high chance I’ll still be able to lift it at the end of the season.

RE: 2023 - Pumpkin competition - Veggie - 12-08-2023

(12-08-2023, 10:17 AM)JJB Wrote: Oh, I hadn't thought about shading Piglet. I have a lot to learn about competition pumpkin growing. This could become a tad obsessive- I blame Veggie.
Next year, you'll all be experts  - maybe I'll join in properly then.

RE: 2023 - Pumpkin competition - Small chilli - 16-08-2023

Firefly's growth rate seems to be slowing. 86cm today. She's starting to darken in colour as well.

RE: 2023 - Pumpkin competition - JJB - 16-08-2023

(16-08-2023, 10:50 AM)Small chilli Wrote: Firefly's growth rate seems to be slowing. 86cm today. She's starting to darken in colour as well.

You've reminded me I need to go a d give Peg a pep talk and maybe shade Piglet from the sun.

RE: 2023 - Pumpkin competition - doublyjonah - 22-08-2023

(16-08-2023, 10:50 AM)Small chilli Wrote: Firefly's growth rate seems to be slowing. 86cm today. She's starting to darken in colour as well.
Same here. Growth is a lot slower (and maybe happening in a different plane?) and the color is becoming a lot more orange. The last measurement was last week, about 40 inches (101.6 cm) around the stem and bottom (as pictured before). Online calculator reckoned it weighed 25 pounds last week. It's a nice big pumpkin, but, alas, not the World's Most Giant as I kept referring to it. Comically, the online calculator tells you how far from the world record weight your pumpkin is Big Grin

[attachment=6945]

RE: 2023 - Pumpkin competition - Veggie - 22-08-2023

It may not be the World's Most Giant pumpkin but it may be the G&G Most Giant one. Big Grin

RE: 2023 - Pumpkin competition - Small chilli - 22-08-2023

That’s a very impressive pumpkin  Cool . I’m with Veggie. Very possible a g&g giant  Big Grin .

Can you put a link to the calculation site you’ve been using please. I’d like to try it out.

RE: 2023 - Pumpkin competition - doublyjonah - 22-08-2023

(22-08-2023, 04:26 PM)Small chilli Wrote: That’s a very impressive pumpkin  Cool . I’m with Veggie. Very possible a g&g giant  Big Grin .

Can you put a link to the calculation site you’ve been using please. I’d like to try it out.
I've used https://giantpumpkins.co.nz/giant-pumpkin-weight-estimation-calculator/

I think it does metric and imperial measurements.