Garden And Gossip Forums
2023 - Pumpkin competition - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Competitions (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=43)
+--- Thread: 2023 - Pumpkin competition (/showthread.php?tid=1711)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: 2023 - Pumpkin competition - Small chilli - 31-07-2023

11 days since last photo. Little firefly is turning into a toddler. Definitely can’t call her a baby anymore  Big Grin 

[attachment=6858]

RE: 2023 - Pumpkin competition - Small chilli - 10-08-2023

I’m turning into one of those people you wouldn’t want to go for a pint with (boring nerd that only talks about one thing) Wink . This time it wouldn’t be building    Blush  Big Grin ( as SC suddenly realises she’s already a boring nerd that only talks about one thing   Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin )

Anyway……… I’ve started measuring firefly  Blush . To see how much it’s growing. 

First measurement taken yesterday 78.5cm circumference. I measured round from stem to base. Taking the measurements that way means less disturbance & less handling.

RE: 2023 - Pumpkin competition - JJB - 10-08-2023

Good idea SC. I'll do the same with Peg's progeny.

Meet Piglet, Peg's perfectly formed progeny.  I'm  going to take a leaf out of SC's book and put a mat underneath piglet and measure him.

[attachment=6904]

Hello piglet. You’re a very handsome big fella. Can’t wait to see how big you get  Big Grin  .  (SC secretly hopes you get massive so JJB is in all the papers after having to hire a forklift to move you ) 

The thing I’ve got under firefly is actually sheep’s fleece that’s been turned into long strips. Original used was packaging fragile things. I acquired them Wink . Perfect for keeping slugs off things and keeping pumpkins bottom from going soggy. Straw or a bit of paving slab will do. Anything that isn’t going to hold water.

RE: 2023 - Pumpkin competition - Veggie - 10-08-2023

You two!! Comparing the size of your pumpkins - and on an open forum too.  Blush
In case you haven't guessed, mine never made it into the open air, they're shrivelled little things, still in their original pots. Actually, I'm jealous of yours but I'm not going to tell you that.  Wink

(10-08-2023, 09:45 AM)Small chilli Wrote: Hello piglet. You’re a very handsome big fella. Can’t wait to see how big you get  Big Grin  .  (SC secretly hopes you get massive so JJB is in all the papers after having to hire a forklift to move you ) 

The thing I’ve got under firefly is actually sheep’s fleece that’s been turned into long strips. Original used was packaging fragile things. I acquired them Wink . Perfect for keeping slugs off things and keeping pumpkins bottom from going soggy. Straw or a bit of paving slab will do. Anything that isn’t going to hold water.

Must have a rethink about that, I was going to use a old bit of capillary matting, I think that might defeat the object.  I think yours is bigger than mine, pumpkins only that is. Big Grin

(10-08-2023, 09:55 AM)Veggie Wrote: You two!! Comparing the size of your pumpkins - and on an open forum too.  Blush
In case you haven't guessed, mine never made it into the open air, they're shrivelled little things, still in their original pots. Actually, I'm jealous of yours but I'm not going to tell you that.  Wink
 Sorry your pumpkins didn’t play nicely    Sad . If I’m honest I only managed to get the one to germinate. I sowed all of them. 

I notice everyone else that had seeds is being very quiet. I think we need a few more updates on there progress. Or at very least what there names are    Big Grin .

RE: 2023 - Pumpkin competition - Veggie - 10-08-2023

Its not my seeds fault - I'm the one who didn't play nicely and plant them out when they needed it. never mind, there's always next year - I have another 200 or so seeds!!

RE: 2023 - Pumpkin competition - doublyjonah - 10-08-2023

I forgot to take a picture of mine last time! My still unnamed pumpkin is bigger than a basketball - if that helps anyone other than me...

I fear it may be starting to ripen though, so not looking like becoming the World's Most Giant Pumpkin as intended.

I am now planning to pack my sewing measuring tape next time I go to the allotment Big Grin