Garden And Gossip Forums
2020 - Tell us what you did today - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+--- Thread: 2020 - Tell us what you did today (/showthread.php?tid=167)

RE: Tell us what you did today - Vinny - 06-11-2020

(06-11-2020, 10:22 AM)Broadway Wrote: Interesting
My methods aren't as complicated as the link suggests. I just dig up my biggest leek with as much soil as possible. I put it in a large bucket and top up with garden soil. It then stands in the corner of the greenhouse doing its thing.  I water it through the summer when required and allow the seed head to form. My seed head seemed to have quite a bit of grass on it so I didn't bother 'shaving' the seeds off.

After potting up the grass I don't use any heat or grow lights as I am not exhibiting and just want decent leeks for the table. I will pot them on into bigger pots when they are well established.

RE: Tell us what you did today - Broadway - 06-11-2020

(06-11-2020, 12:30 PM)Vinny Wrote:
My methods aren't as complicated as the link suggests. I just dig up my biggest leek with as much soil as possible. I put it in a large bucket and top up with garden soil. It then stands in the corner of the greenhouse doing its thing.  I water it through the summer when required and allow the seed head to form. My seed head seemed to have quite a bit of grass on it so I didn't bother 'shaving' the seeds off.

After potting up the grass I don't use any heat or grow lights as I am not exhibiting and just want decent leeks for the table. I will pot them on into bigger pots when they are well established.
Are you keeping a photo log Vinny?

RE: Tell us what you did today - Broadway - 06-11-2020

Been on a glorious walk today, started with a chill in the air and ended with sunshine? Also found a new route back to the village.

Took some photos which I’ll add to the plant identification thread I started yesterday.

Collected another 4 bags of leaves. Reason for all the leaves is I want to put a layer in each on my new RB’s. Appreciate they will not be completely rotted by next year but I new something to bulk them out. So far they have all had a layer chippings, cardboard, grass, and manure. After the leaves I will top off with compost when planting them up.

Spent a pleasant 1.5 hours at allotment in the sunshine. Raked a previously dug area and planted four X  8 foot rows of red onion sets and sowed one row of Limanthus (Poached egg plants) down the edge of my central path.
Pulled all of my sweetcorn up and composted it. In the bed it was in, I planted three rows of Senshyu onion sets. Wink

Hoed off a large area which I intend planting Spring cabbage in. They are in short rows ready for transplanting. 

In another bed I was dismayed at a cauliflower which wasn't doing well. Once I pulled it up I found out why....clubroot. Hopefully its confined to this  small bed only as I always grow my own brassicas from seed and never in the same place twice. Bugger! Angry

(06-11-2020, 12:59 PM)Broadway Wrote:
(06-11-2020, 12:30 PM)Vinny Wrote:

Are you keeping a photo log Vinny?
Afraid not Danny.

RE: Tell us what you did today - Small chilli - 06-11-2020

Cut down my 2 buddleia. Pulled up some old sunflowers. Took some cuttings. Made chive vinegar and chilli powder.

RE: Tell us what you did today - JJB - 06-11-2020

Finally got the revamp of large compost bin completed and can at last start filling it. It has taken forever due to rain and P deciding each time it was nearly done, that there was just one more little job to make it stronger, sturdier, leveller, squarer, whatever! Got round to mowing over the large number of sacks of beech leaves collected earlier to shred them. Bagged up the shreddings to add to grass mowings later next spring.

RE: Tell us what you did today - Veggie - 06-11-2020

Collected fallen apples - usable ones in a bucket, pecked and bruised ones in a trug as I have a cunning plan for them. Smile

Given that I have some self seeded apple trees that have grown from fallen apples (but aren't growing in the best place) I'm going to dump all these fallers together and wait for something to grow. It'll be a random apple tree bed...........in about 5 years time.

RE: Tell us what you did today - Spec - 06-11-2020

Sowed 4 different types of lettuce, don't know how the will do just know than hey definitely won't grow in their packets

RE: Tell us what you did today - JJB - 07-11-2020

Nothing garden related today I fear. P spent the night almost crying with back pain with no obvious reason. Not something he has ever suffered from and he doesn't give in to pain easily, so I'm taking some notice of him for once. If it doesn't improve, it maybe a trip to A&E - I seem to spend an awful lot of time there recently. Sad