Garden And Gossip Forums
2020 - Tell us what you did today - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+--- Thread: 2020 - Tell us what you did today (/showthread.php?tid=167)

RE: Tell us what you did today - Can the Man - 19-07-2020

I dug over some of the raised beds had potatoes growing in the poly tunnel, then planted dwarf French beans in one bed, and bolt hardy beetroot in 2 beds. Hi had to plant these out in the tunnel as I have no room in the garden and they were overgrowing their modules. Planted some marigolds in the flower part of the bird bath after cutting back the violas. I also potted on some brussel sprouts into pots from modules and put them outside to harden off. I picked tomatoes and strawberries for the house, I also took 3 clippings from my cucumbers and put them in water to see if the can root them.

RE: Tell us what you did today - Small chilli - 20-07-2020

Re enforce fencing ( mink & otter are back )
Strimming the house plot.

[attachment=797]

Got as far as the electric pole. Do the other half tomorrow.

Collected seeds.

Tied up sunflowers.

RE: Tell us what you did today - Can the Man - 21-07-2020

Not a lot really still working from home, went for an audiology check up today with my hearing aids, got them retuned. Have to do a bit of watering in the poly tunnel later

RE: Tell us what you did today - Baldy - 26-07-2020

Been spray painting a couple of second hand speakers in my polyhousetunnel thing. I'm sort of recreating the festivals I would have gone to but for coronavirus in the poly...
I'm in the corner plot so don't bother anyone with my choice of chunes...
My hot chilies haven't been up to much this year but the standard jalapenos and Cayenne have been better than usual - picked a load for fahetas later in the week.
Lettuce - I'm contemplating returning to the plot to get another - its on the cusp of going from great to bolting but I'm feeling my age Sad

RE: Tell us what you did today - Veggie - 26-07-2020

Been clearing nettles, brambles and other weeds to make a winter veg bed - experimental of course.
A pesky ant crawled up my leg and bit me right where it shouldn't have been. That was its last bite in its short life.!

RE: Tell us what you did today - JJB - 26-07-2020

Lifted shallots completely and set to dry (a bit late as it rained yesterday). Weeded. Harvested blueberries.

RE: Tell us what you did today - PyreneesPlot - 26-07-2020

After emptying all 4 water butts last week and with temps climbing from the mid thirties throughout the week I got the hose out and drenched the veg plot. It took all morning as the base of each plant got a good go rather than just a general spray - that's a lot of plants!! First time I've hosed for a couple of years.
Ranted at the voles who've had half a dozen more artichoke plants, an aubergine and are working their way through the leek bed.
Cleared some struggling half voled cucumbers, dug out the tunnels, added some compost & planted out some dfb & lettuces.
Did some dead heading.

RE: Tell us what you did today - Mark_Riga - 26-07-2020

(26-07-2020, 08:57 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: Ranted at the voles who've had half a dozen more artichoke plants, an aubergine and are working their way through the leek bed.
Cleared some struggling half voled cucumbers, dug out the tunnels, added some compost & planted out some dfb & lettuces.
Did some dead heading.

Do they actually eat the plants or do they dig underneath them? I've had something digging underneath some onions and carrots.

RE: Tell us what you did today - PyreneesPlot - 27-07-2020

They eat the roots Mark, and things like leeks get slowly pulled down into the hole. Comical and infuriating in equal measure. Eventually all that is left is a neat round hole Sad
I've even lost a three year old plum tree, the teeth marks on the remaining bits of plant are very obvious.
Moles tunnel underneath and here the field voles use the mole runs to access the roots.

RE: Tell us what you did today - Roitelet - 27-07-2020

[attachment=852]This is the sort of damage they did to my potatoes. Not too many were damaged thank goodness.