Garden And Gossip Forums
2020 - Tell us what you did today - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+--- Thread: 2020 - Tell us what you did today (/showthread.php?tid=167)

RE: Tell us what you did today - Bren - 06-07-2020

Yesterday inbetween showers I planted out some lettuces and sown a sprinkle of radishes and spring onions.

RE: Tell us what you did today - Small chilli - 06-07-2020

Planted out a courgette, borage & another sunflower. Potted up 7 jalapeños. Earthed up spuds & leeks.
Took bottom leaves off tomatoes.

RE: Tell us what you did today - Small chilli - 09-07-2020

Sown seeds. Did a bit of mowing. Started saving seeds. Tied up a leaning Padron. Put chicken wire over my leeks to stop the birds flattening them and removing the grass clippings I put round them. Add more grass clippings.

RE: Tell us what you did today - Can the Man - 09-07-2020

Cut grass front, back and sides then tidied up the tunnel, picked a few tomatoes and 2 cucumbers for a neighbour. Had to remove a load of stones and chippings that the local council roads department left on my grass verge when they surfaced our road on Tuesday, I filled holes in a neighbours entrance with the chippings and stones.

RE: Tell us what you did today - Scarlet - 09-07-2020

I ate two courgettes for lunch Smile
Picked some snap dragons and sweet peas.
Ate a few tayberries and planted up a few more dahlias that are still in pots.
Collected and sowed some foxglove seed.
Potted on more lupins.SP - hoping your seed has some purples Smile
Potted a few pelargoniums into bigger pots
Planted in some lettuce seedlings.

RE: Tell us what you did today - Veggie - 10-07-2020

Ripped out a lot of strawberry plants that were roaming wild and not producing and planted some White Emergo Runner beans and Pattypan squashes in their place.
Tied up some butternut squashes to supports.
Picked CFBs, courgettes and raspberries.
Refused my neighbour's offer of 2 "courgettes" the size of marrows!, He was given 4 by a customer and didn't know what to do with them. I made a few suggestions.Wink
Did some weeding of an accidental "tapestry lawn" - in other words, pulled up the weeds from an old woodchipped area and left the selfseeded alyssum, verbena bonariensis and some low growing purple wild flowers whose name escapes me. I think it may work as a "tapestry lawn" rather than weeding the lot out and being left with bare earth.

RE: Tell us what you did today - Small chilli - 11-07-2020

Yesterday I hacked down part of the jungle in the polytunnel. So now the Climbing french beans are no more. Harvested a few things, collected more seeds from my claytonia. Pollinated, bagged and marked more chillies for seed saving.

RE: Tell us what you did today - Small chilli - 11-07-2020

(10-07-2020, 08:48 PM)Veggie Wrote: Did some weeding of an accidental "tapestry lawn" - in other words, pulled up the weeds from an old woodchipped area and left the selfseeded alyssum, verbena bonariensis and some low growing purple wild flowers whose name escapes me. I think it may work as a "tapestry lawn" rather than weeding the lot out and being left with bare earth.
Is it Bugle ? 
the first low growing purple wild flower that came to mind.

RE: Tell us what you did today - JJB - 11-07-2020

Finally planted some very tatty woebegone tomatoes in new GH into rather poor soil. They've got two chances.

RE: Tell us what you did today - Veggie - 11-07-2020

(11-07-2020, 08:15 AM)Small chilli Wrote:
(10-07-2020, 08:48 PM)Veggie Wrote: Did some weeding of an accidental "tapestry lawn" - in other words, pulled up the weeds from an old woodchipped area and left the selfseeded alyssum, verbena bonariensis and some low growing purple wild flowers whose name escapes me. I think it may work as a "tapestry lawn" rather than weeding the lot out and being left with bare earth.
Is it Bugle ? 
the first low growing purple wild flower that came to mind.
Its Prunella vulgaris/Self heal. https://first-nature.com/flowers/prunella-vulgaris.php#:~:text=%20Prunella%20vulgaris%20-%20Selfheal%20%201%20Description.,Swedish%20naturalist%20Carl%20Linnaeus%2C%20who%20was...%20More%20

Interestingly, the article says Prunella ducks down to avoid the mower!. Also have  Ground Ivy (link in the article) and Ajuga, which I love! Sweet Woodruff might do as well. 
May plant some of them in the tapestry