Garden And Gossip Forums
Bread! - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: Kitchen Talk (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: DIY Kitchen (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Bread! (/showthread.php?tid=1655)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Bread! - Veggie - 20-09-2022

The word "sourdough" I find off putting so wouldn't buy it - but now that I'm eating it (and its free) I really like it. Ordinary bread tastes bland in comparison.

RE: Bread! - Vinny - 20-09-2022

(20-09-2022, 03:35 PM)Veggie Wrote: The word "sourdough" I find off putting so wouldn't buy it - but now that I'm eating it (and its free) I really like it. Ordinary bread tastes bland in comparison.
Yep, sounds a bit offputting to me! Confused Gunna try it sometime though, along with bacon and cheese bread and sardine bread! Big Grin

RE: Bread! - Farendwoman - 20-09-2022

Yukk!
Sorry Vinny - don’t think I could bring myself to even taste sardine bread.
Cheese and bacon sounds pretty good tho

RE: Bread! - Mark_Riga - 20-09-2022

(18-09-2022, 09:23 PM)Farendwoman Wrote:
(18-09-2022, 06:50 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote: I make olive bread sometimes but put in sun dried tomatoes not chillis. It works out quite dear so not too often. I always used kalamata olives as we liked walking round that part of Greece.
Why not dry your own tomatoes Mark - and save a load of money. Nigella has a recipe for “moon blush tomatoes”. It’s brilliant. I dry all my surplus ones when they all come at once and then freeze them for adding to pizzas, breads and salads later on.
And I buy big jars of cheap olives in home bargains. They’re good enough for cooking with. Need a bit of tarting up with a bit of lemon zest, garlic and herbs if you want to eat them “fresh”!

The sun dried tomatoes I use are £2.85 for 250g, I use 50g. It is the olives that are dear at £3.20 for 200g. I use 120g. then 50p for the organic flour. So about £3.00 for the ingredients for a 1kg loaf. A bit more for yeast, salt and olive oil. All prices are today's, could be double next week.

RE: Bread! - Vinny - 21-09-2022

(20-09-2022, 06:04 PM)Farendwoman Wrote: Yukk!
Sorry Vinny - don’t think I could bring myself to even taste sardine bread.
Cheese and bacon sounds pretty good tho
............how abot this recipe for cabbage bread then? Big Grin

https://cookpad.com/uk/recipes/4932715-tasty-cabbage-bread

RE: Bread! - Vinny - 06-10-2022

Hot out the oven my cheese & Chorizzo bread, ready to be eaten with my spicy sweet potato and Chorizzo soup. (After slices  being liberally coated with butter of course.) Rolleyes Smile

RE: Bread! - Farendwoman - 07-10-2022

Sorry Vinny- it all looks great - but you’re going to get ever so tubby with all that lovely bread.
Bet you always eat a whole loaf every day - whereas the shop bought stuff can sit in the pantry as you eat just a slice or two each day.
(I’m only jealous really!)

RE: Bread! - Vinny - 07-10-2022

(07-10-2022, 02:26 PM)Farendwoman Wrote: Sorry Vinny- it all looks great - but you’re going to get ever so tubby with all that lovely bread.
Bet you always eat a whole loaf every day - whereas the shop bought stuff can sit in the pantry as you eat just a slice or two each day.
(I’m only jealous really!)
You're right Farendwoman, baking and having to eat what you have made is not conducive to alowing me to follow a low carb diet, which I strive for! Sick There is a school of thought that believes if you freeze bread then use it at a later date, the freezing process cuts some of the carbs out? Huh

I should really look into producing low carb bread, but if it tastes anything like 'Nimble' you can keep it! Big Grin

RE: Bread! - JJB - 07-10-2022

Isn't low carb bread, a bit like low carb potatoes...an oxymoron? Now you know why I only bake bread occasionally, I could live on hot bread with lashings of butter Smile

RE: Bread! - Mark_Riga - 07-10-2022

As a mainly vegetarian, I don't see a problem with eating carbs. I have porridge for breakfast, eat lots of homegrown potatoes and I probably go through 3 loaves a week, all home baked. The last time I bought flour, in early May, I used Shipton Mill 16kg each organic wholemeal and white bread. Need to reorder now.
Rice is good too - have about 30kg in 10kg bags. When one empties, I buy another. Need to get one of those next time I'm in Manchester as well.