Garden And Gossip Forums
Bees in hole in ground - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: Walk on the wild side (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: Wildlife pictures and discussion (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Bees in hole in ground (/showthread.php?tid=1606)

Pages: 1 2

Bees in hole in ground - Farendwoman - 05-07-2022

Hi
I’ve just spotted an amazing number of bumble bees (like at least fifty!) buzzing around a small hole in the garden near the sweet peas. All fighting and scrambling to get into the small hole which is the size of a broom handle.
These are really large bumble bees and as soon as I get near the sweet peas they buzz furiously around my head trying to scare me off - they are blooming well succeeding!
Obviously I am thrilled to have these beautiful creatures in the garden, but I am worried about getting stung -plus how am I going to pick the sweet peas?.
I’ve put a wire cage around them to keep Fitzroy (the puss away from them).
The photo doesn’t come near to showing the number of airborne ones. No exaggeration when I say at least fifty!

RE: Bees in hole in ground - Small chilli - 05-07-2022

That’s cool I’ve never actually come across a bumblebee hive. You won’t get stung. You have to really **** them off before they’ll sting you. Not like there bad tempered relatives the wasp.

RE: Bees in hole in ground - Veggie - 05-07-2022

Great photo, FEW. Smile
I think they're trying to dig up the montbretia (if that's what it is?).

RE: Bees in hole in ground - Jay - 05-07-2022

I’ve only seen that once before, spent ages just watching them coming and going.

RE: Bees in hole in ground - Farendwoman - 05-07-2022

(05-07-2022, 04:05 PM)Veggie Wrote: Great photo, FEW. Smile
I think they're trying to dig up the montbretia (if that's what it is?).
Yep - it’s montbretia . Undisturbed  for years. They’re trying to do me a favour!

RE: Bees in hole in ground - PyreneesPlot - 05-07-2022

How fabulous - I've only seen a bumble nest once, and sadly it was being dug up and eaten by, wait for it, a hedgehog! Nature doing her thing.
So no, I guess they're pretty unlikely to sting when you're just picking sweet peas.

RE: Bees in hole in ground - Farendwoman - 05-07-2022

(05-07-2022, 05:59 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: How fabulous - I've only seen a bumble nest once, and sadly it was being dug up and eaten by, wait for it, a hedgehog! Nature doing her thing.
So no, I guess they're pretty unlikely to sting when you're just picking sweet peas.
Oh dear! we’ve got a couple of hedgehogs that visit the garden most nights.
I’d better start putting out even more of Fitz’s food so that they leave the bumbles alone.

RE: Bees in hole in ground - Farendwoman - 06-07-2022

Hope this video uploads ….
No it didn’t!
Anyone tell me what format it needs to be, please?

RE: Bees in hole in ground - Can the Man - 06-07-2022

(06-07-2022, 10:10 AM)Farendwoman Wrote: Hope this video uploads ….
No it didn’t!
Anyone tell me what format it needs to be, please?
Not sure you can upload a video, Best if you can post it somewhere and then put up the link

RE: Bees in hole in ground - Farendwoman - 06-07-2022

Thanks -I’ll investigate how to do that.
Interestingly the bees grab little bits of dirt, pebbles or stones and block the entrance to their hole at night.
Just like us locking our doors I guess.
Then they push and shove their way out in the morning. I am fascinated!