Garden And Gossip Forums
Plants I will never grow again - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General discussion (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Plants I will never grow again (/showthread.php?tid=1566)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Plants I will never grow again - toomanytommytoes - 21-05-2022

(20-05-2022, 11:34 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: I do, have or would try any of those on the list Wink so no vote from me!
Pak choi just bolts - seedling leaves, flower stalk, bam, dead, but giant vegetables of any sort probably top my list.
You need Joi Choi F1 in your life, it's the most bolt resistant pak choi I've grown, doesn't go to seed until mid-May from a February/March sowing. I've just planted some more in the ground to see how quickly they go to seed at this time of year.

RE: Plants I will never grow again - Small chilli - 21-05-2022

Josterberry. Very unpopular with the soft fruit eater in the house. Far to popular with pests.

RE: Plants I will never grow again - PyreneesPlot - 21-05-2022

I might give it a go then, thanks. Although the 36 degrees registered today may defeat it  Sad
(21-05-2022, 10:30 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote:
(20-05-2022, 11:34 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: I do, have or would try any of those on the list Wink so no vote from me!
Pak choi just bolts - seedling leaves, flower stalk, bam, dead, but giant vegetables of any sort probably top my list.
You need Joi Choi F1 in your life, it's the most bolt resistant pak choi I've grown, doesn't go to seed until mid-May from a February/March sowing. I've just planted some more in the ground to see how quickly they go to seed at this time of year.

RE: Plants I will never grow again - PyreneesPlot - 21-05-2022

(21-05-2022, 11:20 PM)Small chilli Wrote: Josterberry. Very unpopular with the soft fruit eater in the house. Far to popular with pests.

Interesting - I have a jostaberry, sold on blackcurrants the size of a gooseberry, and find the size is right but the flavour poor. But the crops were huge so bulked out other soft fruit, and the plant was disease and pest free until the deer stripped the bark last winter Sad

RE: Plants I will never grow again - Veggie - 21-05-2022

I like Jostaberries as a plant but don't always get round to picking them!
I hate Worcesterberries - same cross of blackcurrants and gooseberry but with the prickles, nasty vicious prickles. I'm trying to confine them to the hedge but they seem to seed everywhere far more easily than the Jostaberries - but they're a doddle from cuttings anyway.

RE: Plants I will never grow again - toomanytommytoes - 07-07-2022

(21-05-2022, 11:23 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: I might give it a go then, thanks. Although the 36 degrees registered today may defeat it  Sad
Those plants have only just started to go to seed and formed really nice, big heads. I barely watered them after planting, keeping the soil more moist may have extended their life a bit more.

RE: Plants I will never grow again - PyreneesPlot - 07-07-2022

(07-07-2022, 05:42 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote:
(21-05-2022, 11:23 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: I might give it a go then, thanks. Although the 36 degrees registered today may defeat it  Sad
Those plants have only just started to go to seed and formed really nice, big heads. I barely watered them after planting, keeping the soil more moist may have extended their life a bit more.

I'm very jealous! But will give it a go next year, thanks  Smile although even reliable brassicas are struggling in the exceptional (I hope) heat this year!

RE: Plants I will never grow again - SarrissUK - 07-07-2022

(07-07-2022, 05:42 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: Those plants have only just started to go to seed and formed really nice, big heads. I barely watered them after planting, keeping the soil more moist may have extended their life a bit more.

Wow, they look great TMTT!!

RE: Plants I will never grow again - Can the Man - 08-07-2022

Fantastic TMTT, must think about them for next year.

RE: Plants I will never grow again - Small chilli - 08-07-2022

(07-07-2022, 05:42 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote:
Thanks TMTT 
You just reminded me to sow my choy sum ( purple Choi). Only packet of seeds I’ve got with a July sowing time. So I forget  Blush