Garden And Gossip Forums
Growing up the side of fruit cage netting - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: Plots, pots and gardens (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=36)
+--- Forum: Working the plot (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Growing up the side of fruit cage netting (/showthread.php?tid=1562)

Pages: 1 2

Growing up the side of fruit cage netting - doublyjonah - 19-05-2022

Hi all,

We got a fruit cage for Christmas (my phone keeps correcting this to cake...) and I'm wondering if it would be ok to grow peas or something up the black netting where they won't shade any of the fruit out.

Any other annual veg or flowers you'd suggest growing up the netting or potentially up string/support attached to the metal frame? Or will I regret getting things tangled in the netting? The cage is just over two metres tall, metal frame with meeting, it has a door.

Thanks!

PS hope this is an appropriate section!

RE: Growing up the side of fruit cage netting - JJB - 19-05-2022

I have put a few cucumbers up the cage netting, mere for lack of space any where else.

RE: Growing up the side of fruit cage netting - doublyjonah - 19-05-2022

Oh good to know. I have crystal lemon cucumbers this year that I'm hoping to train upwards, so something to consider.

Thanks for replying from your secret hideaway, JJB!

RE: Growing up the side of fruit cage netting - Farendwoman - 19-05-2022

Def not morning glory - thought it would look good but it strangled everything in the cage!

I had achocha from the seed exchange going up and over last year (seed from seed swap - so thanks to the person who provided it). It worked really well. Not too invasive , looked good, provided a bit of shade and gave us a “novelty” veg to taste.

RE: Growing up the side of fruit cage netting - Veggie - 19-05-2022

Growing up the outside or inside the cage?

Outside - and it stayed outside. Just crawled up and over.

RE: Growing up the side of fruit cage netting - doublyjonah - 20-05-2022

I have the achocha seed from that swap. I haven't sown it but I'm tempted to try to sneak it in now.

I can grow inside or outside the cage, or both. There's a bit of space in there right now. I have CFB, runners, peas, cucumbers, delicata squash...I think tromba any other climbers/clingers I have this year would be too big/heavy/leafy etc.

Maybe some of my nasturtium climb? Haven't gotten them out yet. Job for the weekend!

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone.

RE: Growing up the side of fruit cage netting - Small chilli - 20-05-2022

Tromboncino might get a bit heavy for your netting.
You already said that. Ignore me!

RE: Growing up the side of fruit cage netting - Veggie - 20-05-2022

How about Melons or Cucamelons - they're quite lightweight and your little one might like to pick them.