Garden And Gossip Forums
Pot sizes? - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: Plots, pots and gardens (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=36)
+--- Forum: Potty corner (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: Pot sizes? (/showthread.php?tid=1534)

Pot sizes? - Small chilli - 28-04-2022

As you are all really board of hearing about  Blush . I’m growing lot of things in pot ready for my new garden. When can I stop potting on? I know it depends a lot on the type of plant. But can I keep them in smaller pots or is it going to stunt them when they actually go into the ground? 
Advice please

RE: Pot sizes? - SarrissUK - 28-04-2022

For perennial stuff, I'd keep potting them on when they really need it, i.e. before they're root bound. The annual stuff is much less important, I think. I've had tomatoes from plants that should've been in much bigger pots for example.
Perennial stuff are more long term and therefore more valuable to keep potted on.

RE: Pot sizes? - Veggie - 28-04-2022

I usually look for roots coming out of the bottom of the pot as a sign that it needs potting on. No roots = Do nothing.
Not sure that answers your question though.

RE: Pot sizes? - Scarlet - 28-04-2022

If you don't pot on ,when the weather is hot you have to water more than once a day especially if they are needing to be potted up. I can often lose stuff because of this.

RE: Pot sizes? - Vinny - 28-04-2022

I woud always use a John Innes type loam based compost as well as it is heavier (pots don't blow over) and it holds moisture and nutrients better. Aaprt form that I agree with veggie about the roots showing through drainage holes. Smile

RE: Pot sizes? - Small chilli - 29-04-2022

Looks like I’ll be potting on for the foreseeable future. And probably need a digger when it comes to planting time  Rolleyes .

[attachment=4696] [attachment=4697] [attachment=4698]

Luckily no annuals. I won’t be getting on a ferry for John innes or anybody else  Wink .

RE: Pot sizes? - Veggie - 29-04-2022

If the daffs are in pots, you could let them die back naturally, Then dry the bulbs out and replant in your new garden when you're ready.

RE: Pot sizes? - Veggie - 29-04-2022

(28-04-2022, 10:54 PM)Scarlet Wrote: If you don't pot on ,when the weather is hot you have to water more than once a day especially if they are needing to be potted up. I can often lose stuff because of this.
If it ever gets  too hot, stand the pots in a big tray and water into the tray. I do that a lot - not because its too hot but because I'm lazy. Big Grin

RE: Pot sizes? - Scarlet - 29-04-2022

(29-04-2022, 11:17 AM)Veggie Wrote:
(28-04-2022, 10:54 PM)Scarlet Wrote: If you don't pot on ,when the weather is hot you have to water more than once a day especially if they are needing to be potted up. I can often lose stuff because of this.
If it ever gets  too hot, stand the pots in a big tray and water into the tray. I do that a lot - not because its too hot but because I'm lazy. Big Grin
I use lots of trays.... but it's a chore if you haven't got enough and constantly putting them in and out.  I'm thinking that SC will be having quite a few? It's definitely a big chore for me and quite time consuming if you have to carry the water.

RE: Pot sizes? - MartinH - 01-05-2022

When there's roots showing out of the holes, I take the plant out of the pot and have a look. If there's more root than compost visible, pot on. If there's more compost than root, leave for a bit.

I stop potting on when I can plant in the ground, or when it's big enough and I don't want it to grow much more, or when I run out of pots.