Garden And Gossip Forums
Is there anything that looks like a raspberry but isn't? - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: From seed to plant (edibles) (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Everything Fruity (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=47)
+--- Thread: Is there anything that looks like a raspberry but isn't? (/showthread.php?tid=1512)

Pages: 1 2

Is there anything that looks like a raspberry but isn't? - Proserpina - 10-04-2022

I have some plants that looks like raspberries to me. They are very cane like and the leaves look like raspberry leaves. However, some are completely thornless and others have just a few tiny little thorns. I don't want to get my hopes up that they are an amazing thornless raspberries if they are actually some boring ugly ornamental!

I will try to post some pictures next time I can connect my phone to WiFi.

RE: Is there anything that looks like a raspberry but isn't? - SarrissUK - 10-04-2022

My raspberries at the old house were mainly thornless, although they'd still grip you on the way past.

RE: Is there anything that looks like a raspberry but isn't? - Veggie - 10-04-2022

I don't find raspberries thorny - a little bristly maybe, but not painful thorny like blackberry..
Most of the rubus family have similar leaves - loganberry, tayberry etc.

RE: Is there anything that looks like a raspberry but isn't? - Proserpina - 10-04-2022

I think my vendor and her husband are likely to have been too traditional to have put in loganberries or tayberries. However, I am pleased to think that they really may be raspberries. Already thinking what to do with my harvest! Assuming the pigeons don't get there first...

RE: Is there anything that looks like a raspberry but isn't? - Veggie - 10-04-2022

If you look at the base of the plant you should be able to work out whether they're summer or autumn rasps. A long cane will be summer and a short cane will probably be autumn. A dead cane, alongside a live one, means it hasn't been pruned. My summer raspberries have flower buds now.

RE: Is there anything that looks like a raspberry but isn't? - Proserpina - 10-04-2022

They are pretty long. No flower buds though.

RE: Is there anything that looks like a raspberry but isn't? - SarrissUK - 10-04-2022

I haven't got flower buds either, but all my rasps are young still

None of us have Veggie's Welsh magic, so we have to expect to be a bit behind!

RE: Is there anything that looks like a raspberry but isn't? - Can the Man - 10-04-2022

(10-04-2022, 08:02 PM)Proserpina Wrote: I think my vendor and her husband are likely to have been too traditional to have put in loganberries or tayberries. However, I am pleased to think that they really may be raspberries. Already thinking what to do with my harvest! Assuming the pigeons don't get there first...
If they have thorns they might be Winberries.
I don’t think you need to worry about pigeons eating raspberries, they never attack mine, but the blackbirds will annihilate them, also starlings like to have a go.

RE: Is there anything that looks like a raspberry but isn't? - Moth - 11-04-2022

I grow Joan J rasps, autumn fruiting and completely thornless.