Garden And Gossip Forums
Cardiospermum halicacabum - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General discussion (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Cardiospermum halicacabum (/showthread.php?tid=1497)

Cardiospermum halicacabum - Moth - 30-03-2022

Does anyone grow this? Veggie? I'm counting on you having grown it. AKA love-in-a-puff or balloon vine. Will it thrive in the Midlands? It's tropical, so has to be grown as an annual, so I'd like to know if the season will be long enough to get it to seed, as the seed pods are the showy part.

RE: Cardiospermum halicacabum - Farendwoman - 30-03-2022

I haven’t grown it. Looks like a fun plant to have though.
I grew hairy balls once (waiting for comments!!) but they weren’t a success. Grew too tall and leggy and only produced a few pods before frost got them.
Your post has made me consider having another go, but will pinch them to try and keep them bushy.
(Gomphocarpus)

RE: Cardiospermum halicacabum - Veggie - 30-03-2022

Thought you were swearing, Moth, especially with your "cacabum" !!
Then FEW comes along with her hairy balls........................I'm starting to think I'm on the wrong forum. Big Grin
I haven't grown or even heard of either of them but the thought of growing a "norty corner" where every plant has a rude name is appealing. I've always been a fan of Silybums myself. Big Grin

RE: Cardiospermum halicacabum - JJB - 30-03-2022

FEW I think you need to see a doctor! (Didn't want to disappoint you and not commentBig Grin)

RE: Cardiospermum halicacabum - Moth - 30-03-2022

I like the idea of a "norty corner", Veggie. Big Grin

RE: Cardiospermum halicacabum - Scarlet - 30-03-2022

I've grown it, just because I loved the seeds! I tried two years on the trot - managed to save seeds and they did grow but weren't vigorous enough for me. I also started quite early in the season to give them a good season. Just got a bit "lost" in my garden. It is reasonably pretty, but not one for me to bother growing again.

I "think" I put the seeds in one of our swaps once? Black with a white heart on?

(30-03-2022, 12:08 PM)Moth Wrote: I like the idea of a "norty corner", Veggie. Big Grin
See you there, Moth. Big Grin

RE: Cardiospermum halicacabum - Farendwoman - 30-03-2022

(30-03-2022, 10:44 AM)JJB Wrote: FEW I think you need to see a doctor!  (Didn't want to disappoint you and not commentBig Grin)
Thank you!

(30-03-2022, 12:13 PM)Scarlet Wrote: I've grown it, just because I loved the seeds! I tried two years on the trot - managed to save seeds and they did grow but weren't vigorous enough for me. I also started quite early in the season to give them a good season. Just got a bit "lost" in my garden. It is reasonably pretty, but not one for me to bother growing again.

I "think" I put the seeds in one of our swaps once? Black with a white heart on?
Seeds Black with a white heart on....................just dawned on me - Cardio = heart related. You can work out "spermum" for yourselves Wink