Garden And Gossip Forums
Wormery? - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: Plots, pots and gardens (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=36)
+--- Forum: Compost Corner (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=75)
+--- Thread: Wormery? (/showthread.php?tid=1406)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Wormery? - JJB - 19-01-2022

Are the special worms for wormeries the same worms I find in the manure heap or normal compost, I think they're brandlings?

RE: Wormery? - Broadway - 19-01-2022

Thank you all.....

RE: Wormery? - Broadway - 19-01-2022

(19-01-2022, 11:17 AM)JJB Wrote: Are the special worms for wormeries the same worms I find in the manure heap or normal compost, I think they're brandlings?
I believe they are different?

RE: Wormery? - Spec - 19-01-2022

(19-01-2022, 11:38 AM)Broadway Wrote:
(19-01-2022, 11:17 AM)JJB Wrote: Are the special worms for wormeries the same worms I find in the manure heap or normal compost, I think they're brandlings?
I believe they are different?

They are the same type of worms, I had stopped using my wormerie for a time and when I restarted, I collected some worms from a farm midden (I didn't want to put the worms at any risk by getting them by postRolleyes) and they are doing fine, composting and multiplieing, though increasing numbers depends on both feeding and temperature

RE: Wormery? - toomanytommytoes - 19-01-2022

There is another type of composting worm you can buy called European nightcrawler (Dendrobaena). They're bigger than the standard tiger/brandling/red wrigglers used to vermicomposting and are supposed to do better in colder, wetter conditions. I bought some a few years ago to put in a dalek with some really sodden, stinky, unfinished compost.

RE: Wormery? - Veggie - 15-02-2022

Rather than start another thread, just wanted to say that I've acquired a freebie Original Organics Wormery identical to the one I almost fell into some years ago!
Need to source some worms now. My "plan" is to use the Hotbin compost (which is a bit rough) to feed the wormery in the hope that they will chomp the compost into finer compost.

RE: Wormery? - Broadway - 15-02-2022

(15-02-2022, 05:24 PM)Veggie Wrote: Rather than start another thread, just wanted to say that I've acquired a freebie Original Organics Wormery identical to the one I almost fell into some years ago!
Need to source some worms now. My "plan" is to use the Hotbin compost (which is a bit rough) to feed the wormery in the hope that they will chomp the compost into finer compost.
CunningSmile

If, BIG IF, my cunning plan works, I still have the other wormery bin, missing the drain tap. Maybe I could set up a multi-wormery farm?
Imagine a row of wormeries, each producing worm juice and castings, all fed by the pre-digested compost in the Hot Bin.
Compost and liquid feed independence!!

Getting a bit carried away now - first need to source some worms. Big Grin

RE: Wormery? - toomanytommytoes - 15-02-2022

Rough compost is excellent food for a wormery. Plastic worm bins don't breathe very well so can easily get too wet if fed a lot of kitchen waste. I actually stopped feeding the Hungry Bin with kitchen scraps because whatever I tried, the castings were sopping wet. Now they get a much drier, but still moist, mix of coffee, compost and cardboard: the bin operates much better and the finished castings are easier to work with.

Thanks TMTT. That was one of the problems with my last attempt, too wet but not wet enough to drain - if that makes sense. Fruit flies too.
A lot of liquid comes out of the HotBin and the contents are reasonably dry so I'm hopeful Big Grin