Garden And Gossip Forums
MINT - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: From seed to plant (edibles) (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Everything Herbs (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+--- Thread: MINT (/showthread.php?tid=1398)

Pages: 1 2

MINT - Scarlet - 09-01-2022

Sorry, me again Big Grin I'm reading up on mint for cut flowers.

Now I've always got peppermint on the go, I've had the furry leaf one? But that died as the pot got neglected...had a few over the years and it's only peppermint that had survived. 
But I would like to try a couple for cut flowers, maybe just start a new one in a pot on my new patio....
Now chocolate mint didn't live for very long, I've never heard of buddlea mint? Any mints you think will grow a reasonable stem?

RE: MINT - Veggie - 09-01-2022

The " furry" one might have been Apple mint?
I thought most mints grew tall if you leave them to it? Pineapple mint is a floppy one but has variegated leaves.

RE: MINT - Scarlet - 09-01-2022

(09-01-2022, 08:36 PM)Veggie Wrote: The " furry" one might have been Apple mint?
I thought most mints grew tall if you leave them to it? Pineapple mint is a floppy one but has variegated leaves.
I've seen lots of tall ones in photos but I don't think my peppermint one does? But I use it lots...I'll take cuttings and stick it in the corner somewhere and give it a whirl.

I've just googled buddleia Mint - grows to 2 foot tall...I'll see if I can buy a plant or two.

RE: MINT - Veggie - 09-01-2022

Basil mint is quite tall (if the one I think is Basil, is Basil)!!

I've bought a few mints from https://www.norfolkherbs.co.uk/shop/filters/herb-group/mint/
Worth looking at their photos/descriptions. They're all dormant at the moment so not the time to buy.

RE: MINT - Scarlet - 09-01-2022

Thanks VC - I'll check out the link and do some more research.

RE: MINT - Small chilli - 09-01-2022

Great link veggie. There’s still a couple of varieties on there I don’t have. Must have more mint  Big Grin .

Scarlet I agree with veggie most of my mint varieties have fairly long stems. I’m sure one of mine is darker on the under leaf, purplish. I thought it was Mint, Eau de Cologne or ginger mint. Not sure now as neither of those varieties have noticeable under leaves on that link. 

RE: MINT - Veggie - 10-01-2022

Some of mine have dark red/purple stems, others green. Same with the leaves some dark all over, some dark or purple beneath, others all green. Some smell nicer/stronger than others too if you're thinking of putting them in with cut flowers.
The one I call Skopelos mint is quite dark and I love the smell. I may be able to find you some, either cuttings or roots - not sure what stage its at now.

Mint flowers are different colours too - white, mauve, purple. Not sure whether you want to grow it for flowers or foliage?

RE: MINT - Scarlet - 10-01-2022

(10-01-2022, 12:02 AM)Veggie Wrote: Some of mine have dark red/purple stems, others green. Same with the leaves some dark all over, some dark or purple beneath, others all green. Some smell nicer/stronger than others too if you're thinking of putting them in with cut flowers.
The one I call Skopelos mint is quite dark and I love the smell. I may be able to find you some, either cuttings or roots - not sure what stage its at now.

Mint flowers are different colours too - white, mauve, purple. Not sure whether you want to grow it for flowers or foliage?
Both really, the one I have left which I am assuming is peppermint has a purple flower - but dahlias are the king of all flowers except they have no scent. My wedding bouquet had scent and I remember that over many things? So I wanted to try a few things that would give me some scent so that comes before a fab leaf or flower but if in order - scent, leaf, flower - it doesn't have to look amazing but it must have a reasonable stem and I love to cook so a win win?

ive looked up the buddleia mint - that looks perfect but not one for eating? So would love to try a few others. I didn't have much luck with chocolate mint. I tried a few times.

RE: MINT - Small chilli - 10-01-2022

How about sage as well that smells lovely and has all sorts of different colour foliage.

RE: MINT - Veggie - 10-01-2022

^^^ I like the pineapple/tangerine/blackcurrant etc sages for their smell....and flowers in season.
I usually have some jars of sage/mint/rosemary/lavender on the kitchen window. Take a few leaves for cooking and leave the stems to root - more plants for free. Big Grin