Garden And Gossip Forums
2022/23 - Seeds & Stuff I've ordered/bought/acquired - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: What seeds and garden stuff I bought today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=136)
+--- Thread: 2022/23 - Seeds & Stuff I've ordered/bought/acquired (/showthread.php?tid=1393)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

RE: 2022 - Seeds & Stuff I've ordered/bought/acquired - JJB - 27-05-2022

I ordered some begonia corms on 11/5 and they finally arrived on 26th they looked a little sad, I'm hoping they'll revive now I've planted them. I might get some flowers this season, if not I'll try to save them for next. Incidentally, how deep to they go? I alway thought the top of the corm should remain uncovered, but instructions say 3 - 5cm deep.

RE: 2022 - Seeds & Stuff I've ordered/bought/acquired - Garrett - 27-05-2022

I don't bury mine, I press them down into fluffy compost so the top of the corm sits flush with the compost level.

RE: 2022 - Seeds & Stuff I've ordered/bought/acquired - JJB - 27-05-2022

That's just what I've done, thanks Garrett.

RE: 2022 - Seeds & Stuff I've ordered/bought/acquired - SarrissUK - 27-05-2022

I found a beautiful flower on a trailing plant at one of the forts in Corfu town. I've taken three cuttings and put them in water, hoping they will survive the trip home ?

RE: 2022 - Seeds & Stuff I've ordered/bought/acquired - Proserpina - 28-05-2022

I've bought a dwarf fruit tree from Lidl but I don't know what it is!

They advertised them as being in stock from last weekend. I went the day after they were available but they only had apples or pears. I was tempted, but decided that an apple or pear probably wouldn't be worth it in my current garden - I'll wait until I have more space.

However, I went back to do my grocery shopping today and had another look. This time there was a solitary unlabelled tree at the back and it had different leaves to all the rest.

Well, I couldn't just leave the poor thing there, nameless, homeless, and unloved could I?

I *think* it's a cherry, but it may be a while before I know for sure Big Grin

RE: 2022 - Seeds & Stuff I've ordered/bought/acquired - Veggie - 28-05-2022

If you put a photo of the leaves up we may be able to identify it. Hope it was yellow stickered. Big Grin

RE: 2022 - Seeds & Stuff I've ordered/bought/acquired - Proserpina - 28-05-2022

It has a grey trunk with lenticels, so I'm pretty sure it is a cherry rather than a plum. Googling suggests they

I paid full price (£9.99). It looks in good condition and I was pretty happy to snap up the only non-apple tree that they had!

RE: 2022 - Seeds & Stuff I've ordered/bought/acquired - Veggie - 28-05-2022

You'll probably find out in a couple of years what it is. Plums seem to take forever to flower here.

RE: 2022 - Seeds & Stuff I've ordered/bought/acquired - JJB - 02-06-2022

I know it's late in the season but I couldn't resist the package of 6 begonia tubers on sale at Wilko's yesterday. They were priced at £2.60 but were charged up at £1.62!
Also bought a Calla lily bulb for my pal (I don't hold out much hope there, she's no gardener) priced at £1.50 charged at 62p. I think the prices reflect the likelihood of success but you gotta try, don't you?

RE: 2022 - Seeds & Stuff I've ordered/bought/acquired - Veggie - 17-06-2022

[attachment=4942]

I've been given these leftover seedlings of Purple Sprouting and Green Calabrese by a young lady called Lily. She's only 13 but, at the start of lockdown she decided to grow plants and sell them locally. All the money that she made she spent on hats, gloves and socks for the homeless. She made up parcels and went out on the city streets, (with her parents, of course) to give these gifts to any homeless person they could find. Whatever was left she gave to the  Homeless shelter. 
This year, all her sales profits have been sent to Ukraine. Not only is she very kind-hearted but she's a brilliant gardener too. I met her Mum today (as Lily was in school) and she said that Lily's plants have taken over the house as well as the garden (its a ordinary semi on an estate). Lily's Mum said she takes after her grandmother, who has a small farm locally, but the gardening genes skipped Lily's parents so they've been learning alongside their daughter. 
I'm full of admiration for a 13 year old whose time is spent helping others. If you're on FB, look up Lily's Lettuce................and she also left me some sunflowers.
All I could think to give her were Apple mint and Skopelos mint cuttings that she can grow on for sale. She wouldn't accept a donation for her seedlings !!