Garden And Gossip Forums
2022 - Good Morning, Afternoon, Night - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General discussion (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: 2022 - Good Morning, Afternoon, Night (/showthread.php?tid=1384)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

RE: 2022 - Good Morning, Afternoon, Night - JJB - 10-06-2022

(09-06-2022, 04:15 PM)Veggie Wrote: I can see you in a nunnery, Jen, flouncing around with your dirty habit and wimple askew Big Grin

How do you know about my dirty habit??  I looked for a picture of a daft nun, but reconsidered as I might offend someone.  I find it rather difficult to be PC these days  Big Grin

PS  the boiler system is making a very strange noise like there's a ghost in the pipes. Men have been summoned back.  Oh joy. Today is tidy up for visitor day, at least he won't be crawling around on the floor looking into glory holes for radiator taps, I'm thoroughly ashamed of the accumulated detritus there was in some corners but I'll cover up the corners, go in the garden  and forget about them for another 50 years   Tongue
 If I'm not here tomorrow I've emigrated

Yet another tale of woe, plumbing related.

Drawing off the hot water this morning I noticed it looked a bit tainted. P thinks the hot water tank, which is some 20 yrs old, has a leak or hole which is allowing the inhibitor from the heating system to get into the hot water tank. Not caused directly by boiler replacement but as a result of. Inhibitor is, I believe, is quite a powerful chemical, so whilst there is a doubt I'm not happy washing up or showering in it. Boiling kettles looks to be my future for a while. Another problem is that the new boiler pipework has boxed in the old tank, so notwithstanding the hassle and cost of a new hot water cylinder, all the new pipework will have to be undone in order to replace the cylinder. P is holding his head in his hands (metaphorically) and asking 'why me'. I'm just so pleased he seems to have one inkling of what's going on. I have no idea what I would do if I was on my own.

On a happier note the sun is shining and it's ideal gardening weather and I'm going to pick my first outdoor tomato today.

RE: 2022 - Good Morning, Afternoon, Night - Veggie - 10-06-2022

I bet you're both at the point why you're thinking "Why did we bother?". I think of you two as being ahead of the game with green technology, so was this a "special" sort of boiler or a bog standard replacement for whatever you had before?
Need to know for when my boiler packs in!

(10-06-2022, 12:34 PM)Veggie Wrote: I bet you're both at the point why you're thinking "Why did we bother?". I think of you two as being ahead of the game with green technology, so was this a "special" sort of boiler or a bog standard replacement for whatever you had before?
Need to know for when my boiler packs in!

You need to know because you're nosy, and quite rightly too. 
Poor P, his main aim in replacing the boiler now was to save me grief when he's pushing up daisies. He has said those very 'why did we bother 'words this morning.  It will sort itself out in time I'm sure

P considered a hydrogen compatible one at one time I think and he  read somewhere that all modern boilers have the capability to be converted to hydrogen in the future should the infrastructure go in that direction . Looking at nextdoor's £18K air source heat pump jobbie, he decided we'd both be long gone before amortising that amount of money so we went with like for like, a gas boiler, this time a Worcester Bosch. Being only a 3 bed bungalow we didn't need anything fancy. It would be lovely if it worked  Rolleyes  ATM even with gas prices increasing, the solar panels fund our energy costs.   This might change with any further fuel cost increases though.

RE: 2022 - Good Morning, Afternoon, Night - Veggie - 10-06-2022

A familiar story, Jen. My OH insisted that the boiler was changed when he knew that he didn't have much longer. That boiler is a Worcester Bosch and its still going 17 years later.
I put solar panels on the cottage down west at the start of the FIT payments. Wish I could have moved them when I sold up. The roof here is not the best shape or orientation for panels. Its also about 90 years old and not sure about its integrity to take the weight of panels. Don't want to need a new roof in order to save a few bob on electric.

RE: 2022 - Good Morning, Afternoon, Night - Vinny - 11-06-2022

Morning all. I was up fairly early today because i have a busy day ahead. Dog walk first then Boot Camp at 9.00. Rockfit or bacon sarnie and coffee at 10.00 depending on how i feel? Rolleyes
11.15 a Barre session which I quite enjoy then at 12.30 either a bit of shopping or try out a pork mince recipe at home?
 Kato needs another walk then I need to figure out how I am going to get an open fronted wardrobe upstairs that I have assembled in the living room. It looks like I may need to split it in half again to get it up sairs and around a corner?  Angry
When I eventually get it into position I then have to throw all my clothes out of existing storage onto bed, work out what i am keeping and what must go, then fill new wardrobe up. Smile
I hve noticed I have six white shirts whereas I only need one long sleeved and one short sleeved so the rest will get the chop! Rolleyes

I had toyed with the idea of moving into a Tiny House but as it stands a Tiny home would be just a large wardrobe with nowhere left to do the rest of my living! Big Grin

RE: 2022 - Good Morning, Afternoon, Night - Proserpina - 11-06-2022

Up at 7am today, but then I have stalled a bit. I've been in the shower but now need to do some cleaning in preparation for my parents coming for lunch. Then I need to get to Lidl to buy the lunch! Thankfully, they are going to pick me up at the supermarket on the way to my house, but I still need to set off from here by 11am. That gives me two hours to get dressed and do the required cleaning. Eep!

RE: 2022 - Good Morning, Afternoon, Night - Veggie - 11-06-2022

JJB - I need to know...........did P's friend arrive and did he notice the dirt?
Pros .....................................did your parents arrive and did they notice the dirt?

I'm so glad that nobody wants to visit me. Big Grin

RE: 2022 - Good Morning, Afternoon, Night - Admin - 12-06-2022

We replaced our boiler a couple of years ago...Valiant seems to ring a bell. We decided to opt for a combination boiler, so we no longer have a hot water tank. Best thing we ever did. I replaced all the radiators with like for like and as a result our heating is very efficient now.

RE: 2022 - Good Morning, Afternoon, Night - JJB - 12-06-2022

(11-06-2022, 10:15 PM)Veggie Wrote: JJB - I need to know...........did P's friend arrive and did he notice the dirt?
Pros .....................................did your parents arrive and did they notice the dirt?

I'm so glad that nobody wants to visit me. Big Grin

Visitor came. Was very nice and interesting. He was a rather rumpled elderly chap, just like P, with similar health issues, they compared stories quite happily. I left the lads to it and dug a bean trench.  I figured if P wants a visit he can do the social bit. Tongue  he did help with the housework like a good bunny (he's better at it than me). Surprisingly,  both P and I would welcome him with open arms again. No airs and graces and very down to earth. There is the threat of bringing his wife next time....now that's a whole different kettle of fish.   Cry
P has another 'friend', I think there's only two in total, who visits every Christmas time. He's an ex colleague who, I think, is trying to do his duty and visit the elderly (us). He's so much hard work to talk to and has no conversation other than aircraft. So boring after a couple of hours, and at that time of year I can't escape to the garden.

Have you ever asked yourself why nobody visits you?  Be afraid , one day I might, just out of spite.   Tongue