Garden And Gossip Forums
2022 - Good Morning, Afternoon, Night - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General discussion (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: 2022 - Good Morning, Afternoon, Night (/showthread.php?tid=1384)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

RE: 2022 - Good Morning, Afternoon, Night - Veggie - 08-05-2022

Evening All. Don't seem to have stopped long enough to garden today.
First task was to collect some DIY glues, grouts, car cleaning sort of stuff from a lady who lives quite near me - but very much downhill! Decided the walk would be good for me (and Spud) so I found a rucksack to carry the DIY stuff back home. There was far more than I expected including BBQ lighting fuel and white spirit - too much for my rucksack - so I had to carry the rest in a bag. By the time we got back home I was exhausted - its been really hot today.
No sooner had I got home than I spotted that somebody was giving away pots of lavender and rosemary so I hopped in the car this time and drove down. The pots were slightly larger than I expected - they're huge, glazed pots, too heavy for me to lift. She gave me a 4th pot with a conifer in too. Not sure that that one has a future!
After I left with the pots, I thought I'd drop in at the village church hall where they were holding the monthly Repair Cafe and Library of Things and, for the first time, a plant and seed swap. Big Grin Offloaded a lot of lettuce seeds that I'll never grow and picked up a few seeds that I may grow. Tried not to get involved in volunteering for anything but it was nice to meet some of the Eco movers and shakers for the first time. One lady said she was knitting red, white and blue corgis for the Jubilee. Big Grin They sound cute!
Then I went to Morries and did a little yellow sticker shopping. Now I'm recovering!!

RE: 2022 - Good Morning, Afternoon, Night - Veggie - 11-05-2022

I saw a post on the local neighbourhood watch page about some chicks that had been hatched at a local school but were, apparently, going to be taken away on Friday and destroyed. The lady who posted this said her daughter was on placement at the school and was horrified about this - could anyone give these chicks a home? Two people forwarded the message to me asking for help!!
I messaged the only person I know locally who keeps hens and ducks and asked her if she could take them - and she said YES. Big Grin Hope it all works out well as I was piggy in the middle of the arrangements.
Before you ask, there was no way that I could cope with a brood of chicks, half of which would turn out to be cockerels.

RE: 2022 - Good Morning, Afternoon, Night - Small chilli - 12-05-2022

(11-05-2022, 11:07 PM)Veggie Wrote: I saw a post on the local neighbourhood watch page about some chicks that had been hatched at a local school but were, apparently, going to be taken away on Friday and destroyed. The lady who posted this said her daughter was on placement at the school and was horrified about this - could anyone give these chicks a home? Two people forwarded the message to me asking for help!!
I messaged the only person I know locally who keeps hens and ducks and asked her if she could take them - and she said YES. Big Grin  Hope it all works out well as I was piggy in the middle of the arrangements.
Before you ask, there was no way that I could cope with a brood of chicks, half of which would turn out to be cockerels.
I have some very strong options about this. I’ll keep them to myself as not to offend.
FYI. I side with the chicks 

well done for helping rescue them veggie    Heart .

RE: 2022 - Good Morning, Afternoon, Night - Proserpina - 12-05-2022

I came home yesterday afternoon around 4pm. Even though it was quite early, I felt absolutely exhausted as soon as I walked in my front door. I spent the rest of the day sat on my settee napping or watching gentle YouTube videos.

I have brought one small plant from my Grandma's garden, but there will be more later, when I can start thinking about things differently to right now. It's a Cerinthe, but quite a pale green leaf, whereas the ones I'm growing from seed this year should have a deep smokey blue leaf. I thought it would be nice to have both in the garden. It's currently just got the root wrapped in damp paper towel, so definitely needs planting out today. I also have various seeds that I had been chitting that I just abandoned to head up to Lincolnshire and they now desperately need planting.

I am going to try and have a gentle day, and just potter about. A bit of gardening, a bit of cleaning, a bit of sitting about and doing nothing at all.

RE: 2022 - Good Morning, Afternoon, Night - JJB - 12-05-2022

(12-05-2022, 07:46 AM)Small chilli Wrote:
(11-05-2022, 11:07 PM)Veggie Wrote: I saw a post on the local neighbourhood watch page about some chicks that had been hatched at a local school but were, apparently, going to be taken away on Friday and destroyed. The lady who posted this said her daughter was on placement at the school and was horrified about this - could anyone give these chicks a home? Two people forwarded the message to me asking for help!!
I messaged the only person I know locally who keeps hens and ducks and asked her if she could take them - and she said YES. Big Grin  Hope it all works out well as I was piggy in the middle of the arrangements.
I have some very strong options about this. I’ll keep them to myself as not to offend.

Wholeheartedly agree. Even in the name of education,  I can't see the sense in rearing only to destroy. I can understand rearing to eat, to demonstrate where our food comes from but not the other.

RE: 2022 - Good Morning, Afternoon, Night - Proserpina - 12-05-2022

I went to a village school where a farmer gifted us some eggs to hatch each year, and then they lived in a play shop with lights for a couple of weeks. However, the chicks went back to the farm once they were ready to free range. I'm sure the males didn't live a long life, because they generally don't, but they would have been eaten rather than just destroyed. It seems ridiculous and cruel to hatch out eggs without having a plan about what to do with the chicks.

RE: 2022 - Good Morning, Afternoon, Night - Veggie - 12-05-2022

There's a local scheme called "Eggseeds" run by a very responsible person who lends the equipment to the school, provides the egg from a local farmer and the chicks are returned to the farmer to grow on.
Whether the school had its wires crossed and misunderstood what was to happen to the chicks - or these chicks were not part of the EggSeeds scheme, I don't know. Anyway. they've gone to a good home where they can free-range on a farm with lots of other animals.

RE: 2022 - Good Morning, Afternoon, Night - Vinny - 12-05-2022

Just read an interesting article about Royal Mail. SC could soon be getting her mail delivered by a drone apparently? Huh Thats if its not happening already?

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/uk-news/royal-mail-delivery-routes-drones-23935173?fbclid=IwAR0KZ3BKEPheyBCuBPtj6JfMXceSSYh73V5oM8THTV7-5kO1p7maKJzNBzo

And here at home........got my lawn cut at last and done my knee in it seems. Angry Booked in for Box/core this evening but not sure whether I will make it or not? Sick

(12-05-2022, 08:51 AM)JJB Wrote:
(12-05-2022, 07:46 AM)Small chilli Wrote:

Wholeheartedly agree. Even in the name of education,  I can't see the sense in rearing only to destroy. I can understand rearing to eat, to demonstrate where our food comes from but not the other.
Now why couldn’t I of put it that diplomatically   Smile

(12-05-2022, 04:49 PM)Vinny Wrote: Just read an interesting article about Royal Mail. SC could soon be getting her mail delivered by a drone apparently? Huh Thats if its not happening already?

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/uk-news/royal-mail-delivery-routes-drones-23935173?fbclid=IwAR0KZ3BKEPheyBCuBPtj6JfMXceSSYh73V5oM8THTV7-5kO1p7maKJzNBzo

And here at home........got my lawn cut at last and done my knee in it seems. Angry Booked in for Box/core this evening but not sure whether I will make it or not? Sick
We get medicine delivered to our little hospital by drone sometimes. From Oban hospital.