Garden And Gossip Forums
Evergreen hedge - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General discussion (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Evergreen hedge (/showthread.php?tid=1377)

Evergreen hedge - Jimny14 - 29-12-2021

I have been wishing my parents new house over Christmas and have got to talking to them about plans (they are starting to build a new house on the plot) for the garden. There are some existing hedges which are mainly hawthorn which need laying so that's a job for the next few weeks. 
There are also some hedges used for screening off which they'd like to make more private. From what I could see there was a selection of dogwood (different colours) the occasional birch tree and some other deciduous shrubby things in this screen they've inherited. It is patchy in parts and mum would like to fill it out with some evergreens to give it a bit more privacy during winter. She was originally considering filling the gaps with laurel but I thought it would look odd to have such informal hedging interspersed with laurel blocks. Does anyone have any suggestions for some evergreen interest which is quite informal? Or is it a case of rip it out and start again?

RE: Evergreen hedge - Veggie - 29-12-2021

I've grown a mainly camellia hedge. Hebe is also good. Holly, Viburnum, pittasporum, eleagnus. Cotoneaster, skimmia, Photinia Red Robin. Bay.

I have all these in the hedges.

RE: Evergreen hedge - Veggie - 29-12-2021

This site may help! https://www.hedgesdirect.co.uk/acatalog/evergreen-hedging.html Lots in there that I'd forgotten!

RE: Evergreen hedge - Scarlet - 30-12-2021

I've got a Chrustmas tree in mine? I love it...also taxus, if not clipped looks fine in a mixed hedge. Viburnum? Lots of varieties - love my Tinus which is flowering now. Pittosporum- love these. I've a couple of the dark ones - Tom Thumb is short but I've a few variegated one with pink edges - Elizabeth I think? That's large and easy to grow. I've a few that I've forgotten the varieties.
I don't like it but red Robin is also evergreen I think?

#should read veggies reply before I start...

(29-12-2021, 05:14 PM)Jimny14 Wrote: I have been wishing my parents new house over Christmas and have got to talking to them about plans (they are starting to build a new house on the plot) for the garden. There are some existing hedges which are mainly hawthorn which need laying so that's a job for the next few weeks. 
There are also some hedges used for screening off which they'd like to make more private. From what I could see there was a selection of dogwood (different colours) the occasional birch tree and some other deciduous shrubby things in this screen they've inherited. It is patchy in parts and mum would like to fill it out with some evergreens to give it a bit more privacy during winter. She was originally considering filling the gaps with laurel but I thought it would look odd to have such informal hedging interspersed with laurel blocks. Does anyone have any suggestions for some evergreen interest which is quite informal? Or is it a case of rip it out and start again?
Really wish you lived closer - would love someone to show me how to lay my hedge.

RE: Evergreen hedge - Jimny14 - 30-12-2021

Where in the world are you? Laying hedges isn't particularly difficult per say. It can take a bit of time and you need to follow some rules, it's more difficult it the hedge is overgrown or patchy but is still doable.

(30-12-2021, 11:54 AM)Jimny14 Wrote: Where in the world are you? Laying hedges isn't particularly difficult per say. It can take a bit of time and you need to follow some rules, it's more difficult it the hedge is overgrown or patchy but is still doable.
I'm in Wiltshire - it's a new hedge, I think I planted around this time 3 years by ago.

I'm good with the time but anything I've read seems to get me a bit confused Big Grin they all seem different. And use traditional tools!