Garden And Gossip Forums
Raspberry cane advice - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: From seed to plant (edibles) (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Everything Fruity (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=47)
+--- Thread: Raspberry cane advice (/showthread.php?tid=1207)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Raspberry Advice - Broadway - 02-12-2020

Hi Folks

I'm looking at getting some for the plot and wondered if anyone had any views on suppliers or what would constitute a reasonable price?

Looking at minimum 10 maximum  20.

RE: Raspberry Advice - Vinny - 02-12-2020

I would see if anyone else on the plot are thinning theirs out. I had bought a couple of plants then noticed my allotment neighbour doing some work on theirs. I asked if they were thinning any out if I could have the 'thinnings' Huh

I arrived at plot a few days later to find two buckets full of plants and my neighbours plants looking very tidy. Cool

"Shy bairns get nowt" Big Grin

RE: Raspberry Advice - Admin - 02-12-2020

If you are not careful raspberries soon become weeds, From experience I find autumn fruiting worst for sending out runners. I started with 12 Joan J and now have in excess of 40 (after 2 years). you may want to stick with your lower figure

RE: Raspberry Advice - Broadway - 02-12-2020

(02-12-2020, 01:15 PM)Admin Wrote: If you are not careful raspberries soon become weeds, From experience I find autumn fruiting worst for sending out runners.  I started with 12 Joan J and now have in excess of 40 (after 2 years). you may want to stick with your lower figure
Hello Boss

My plan was to plant them through membrane, would that supress them somewhat?

(02-12-2020, 12:18 PM)Vinny Wrote: I would see if anyone else on the plot are thinning theirs out. I had bought a couple of plants then noticed my allotment neighbour doing some work on theirs. I asked if they were thinning any out if I could have the 'thinnings' Huh

I arrived at plot a few days later to find two buckets full of plants and my neighbours plants looking very tidy. Cool

"Shy bairns get nowt" Big Grin
I remember you saying Vinny, I will keep a look out, if I EVER see someoneSmile

RE: Raspberry Advice - Admin - 02-12-2020

(02-12-2020, 02:05 PM)Broadway Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 01:15 PM)Admin Wrote: If you are not careful raspberries soon become weeds, From experience I find autumn fruiting worst for sending out runners.  I started with 12 Joan J and now have in excess of 40 (after 2 years). you may want to stick with your lower figure
Hello Boss

I a word Danny....no

(02-12-2020, 03:49 PM)Admin Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 02:05 PM)Broadway Wrote:
Hello Boss

I a word Danny....no
Cheers Boss

Short and sweet, like meSmile

RE: Raspberry Advice - Bren - 02-12-2020

I’ve found that my autumn bliss can put runners out 3ft to 4ft from the actual canes.

RE: Raspberry Advice - Broadway - 12-01-2021

Finally decided to purchase 10 Joan J, ordered today.

RE: Raspberry Advice - Veggie - 12-01-2021

They're my favourite!!