Garden And Gossip Forums
Memories! - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Nutty as a fruit cake (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Memories! (/showthread.php?tid=1201)

Pages: 1 2

Memories! - Veggie - 20-07-2021

Its hot and my mind is wandering (again). Memories of things/happenings are surfacing so I thought I'd share them with you - as nobody else will listen.Wink

Yesterday, I remembered that old cars and motorbikes had a "reserve" tank of petrol for when you ran out of petrol. My Dad's Austin 7 car would run out of petrol whilst he was driving, and he'd coast to the kerb, say "I'll turn on the Reserve", get out of the car, lift the bonnet, turn a knob/switch, put bonnet back down, start the car with a starting handle, and off we'd go again until we reached a garage.

I told my brother this and we couldn't remember whether these cars had a petrol gauge - I suppose so but not very accurate.

RE: Memories! - Small chilli - 20-07-2021

I knew motorbikes did. I think some still do. Didn’t realise cars did. That’s pretty cool.  Cool .

RE: Memories! - Veggie - 20-07-2021

Today's weird memory is of the meat-eating wasps of Halkidiki (Greece).
We were on holiday there, went to the beach and couldn't understand why all the sunbathers had an open jam jar in the sand beside them. When we asked, they gave us a jam jar with a piece of sausage inside and told us to keep it beside us.
We soon found out why when the Wasps (Hornet size) arrived and, instead of pestering us, they dived into the jar, attracted by the meat. When you had a jarful you were supposed to put the lid on. Not sure what you did with the jar then.
That was our only visit to that beach. Smile
So, if you ever go there, remember to take your jar of sausage!

RE: Memories! - JJB - 20-07-2021

Sounds like a euphemismBig Grin

Really!!! Must be your mind JJB...............or memories. Big Grin

RE: Memories! - Vinny - 20-07-2021

(20-07-2021, 11:40 AM)Veggie Wrote: Its hot and my mind is wandering (again). Memories of things/happenings are surfacing so I thought I'd share them with you - as nobody else will listen.Wink

Yesterday, I remembered that old cars and motorbikes had a "reserve" tank of petrol for when you ran out of petrol. My Dad's Austin 7 car would run out of petrol whilst he was driving, and he'd coast to the kerb, say "I'll turn on the Reserve", get out of the car, lift the bonnet, turn a knob/switch, put bonnet back down, start the car with a starting handle, and off we'd go again until we reached a garage.

I told my brother this and we couldn't remember whether these cars had a petrol gauge - I suppose so but not very accurate.
Used to put a marble in the tank. when you could here it rolling around you knew you needed to get to a petrol station rather sharpish! Big Grin

RE: Memories! - Spec - 20-07-2021

The starting handles were great, you didn't need to get a push nor jump start when the car wouldn't start in the morning, though in saying that, I wouldn't like to go back to using it

Do you think that these new-fangled electric cars have an AA battery under the bonnet as a reserve? Big Grin

RE: Memories! - JJB - 20-07-2021

(20-07-2021, 02:21 PM)Veggie Wrote: Really!!! Must be your mind JJB...............or memories. Big Grin

Can't remember that far back  Big Grin

RE: Memories! - Spec - 21-07-2021

(20-07-2021, 04:16 PM)Veggie Wrote: Do you think that these new-fangled electric cars have an AA battery under the bonnet as a reserve? Big Grin
My son has a electric car, he had his family out for the day and when heading back home he was driving up the coast, with the intension of stopping of at Girvan, but when he got there he discovered that the car chargers were out of order so rather than risk running out of charge before getting home he couldn't wait, so evedently there are no AA reserve batteries, also makes me wonder what do you do if you runn out of charge? with a normal fuel driven car you can get a can of petrol or diesel, but you can't get a can of electricity Confused