Garden And Gossip Forums
Martin's New Garden - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: My Garden Diary (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=61)
+--- Forum: Dear Diary (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=63)
+--- Thread: Martin's New Garden (/showthread.php?tid=1100)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Martin's New Garden - MartinH - 27-05-2021

I want to keep track of progress in my new garden and thought a thread here might be the best way. So, here's some pictures to start with.

Here's the view of the garden from the back porch. That privet hedge is about 6 feet wide in places and will need some rejuvenation work.

[attachment=2977]

The view from the lounge doors. Again, the hedge is taking over the ornamentals planted in front of it.

[attachment=2980]

Looking back towards the house from the middle of the garden. A good view of the missing panes in the greenhouse, too.

[attachment=2978]

Looking down from the middle of the garden. That shed there needs some, ahem, attention. Also some of those trees are going to have to go too.

[attachment=2981]

The apple trees at the bottom of the garden. Not sure about the biggest one, it's too big to reach any of the fruit (if it has any). I'll make a decision in the winter.

[attachment=2979]

Plenty to do!

RE: Martin's New Garden - Small chilli - 27-05-2021

That looks lovely. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

RE: Martin's New Garden - Proserpina - 27-05-2021

That is such a nice garden. I especially like the wilder parts at the bottom Smile

! - MartinH - 27-05-2021

The first job was to get my sweet peas planted. I sowed them in February - 16 named varieties suffering from being in their rootrainers for too long.

[attachment=2982]

Then the potatoes that were rather over-chitted but will probably be okay. Arran Pilot and Charlotte.

[attachment=2984]

I stacked the turves under the hedge, where they ought to break down into some nice loam in time.

[attachment=2983]

The soil seems to be a fairly heavy loam over a clay subsoil. Other gardens in the street are growing some nice Rhododendrons, flowering well despite some slight yellowing between the veins of the leaves. I guess that means the pH is only slightly lower than neutral, so I should be able to grow most things.

I've now replaced all except one of the broken panes of glass in the greenhouse, 19 in total. I'll get the last one - an odd shape top centre opposite the door - next week. I'll get some automatic vents as well and give it a thorough clean.

[attachment=2985]

The only things in there so far are some pepper plants I brought with me (some sweet, some hot), and some morning glory seeds I chitted this week and potted up this afternoon.

Onwards and upwards!

RE: Martin's New Garden - Veggie - 27-05-2021

What a lovely garden, Martin!
PerfectSmile

RE: Martin's New Garden - Can the Man - 27-05-2021

Best of luck with your project Martin

RE: Martin's New Garden - Jimny14 - 28-05-2021

Looking good Martin.

RE: Martin's New Garden - Bren - 28-05-2021

Good sized garden and GH Martin enjoy making it your own Smile

RE: Martin's New Garden - JJB - 28-05-2021

Really looking forward to seeing your plans evolve. A lovely garden with huge potential.

RE: Martin's New Garden - Jay - 28-05-2021

Lovely Martin...enjoy!