Garden And Gossip Forums
Help - Parsnips and toilet roll - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: From seed to plant (edibles) (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Everything Roots (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=139)
+--- Thread: Help - Parsnips and toilet roll (/showthread.php?tid=1093)

Pages: 1 2

Sow parsnips in toilet rolls? - Broadway - 27-12-2020

Anyone tried it?

RE: Sow parsnips in toilet rolls? - Veggie - 27-12-2020

I haven't but I've moved your thread to Growing - Everything Veggie where more people will see it.

RE: Sow parsnips in toilet rolls? - Bren - 27-12-2020

I used to sow mine into loo rolls it worked well so long as I planted them in the ground at the first sign of a bit of green above the compost. Otherwise you end up with forked scary looking roots.
I stopped sowing them that way after reading about pre-chitting it’s much easier to drop seeds onto damp kitchen roll then planting them straight into the ground once they’ve chitted

RE: Sow parsnips in toilet rolls? - Broadway - 27-12-2020

(27-12-2020, 02:14 PM)Bren Wrote: I used to sow mine into loo rolls it worked well so long as I planted them in the ground at the first sign of a bit of green above the compost.  Otherwise you end up with forked scary looking roots.
I stopped sowing them that way after reading about pre-chitting it’s much easier to drop seeds onto damp kitchen roll then  planting them straight into the ground once they’ve chitted
Oh ok thanks Bren.

I believe you do use toilet rolls for others seeds? I've just been sorting bits out and have an awful lot of loo rolls!!!!

RE: Sow parsnips in toilet rolls? - JJB - 27-12-2020

I use toilet roll insides for broad beans when I run out of root trainers. I'm told peas like the root length too.

RE: Sow parsnips in toilet rolls? - Scarlet - 28-12-2020

I have done, but find kitchen roll tubes better as they are much longer - so less chance of damaging the tap root if you forget to keep an eye on them.
Ive also wrapped newspaper around a long tin, like a polish/mr sheen tin to avoid the chance of damage.
As soon as you see a speck of green they need to be planted out asap.

Help - Parsnips and toilet roll - Can the Man - 20-05-2021

i seem to remember reading on one of the threads a few days ago something about using toilet roll inserts for growing parsnips. I can’t find the thread and the search feature is giving me too many to go through so here goes.

Why and how do you use the toilet rolls with the parsnips, I have a number of seeds germinated in modules and ready for sowing on.

I know Veggie will be back with an answer as soon as I post this Wink

RE: Help - Parsnips and toilet roll - Veggie - 20-05-2021

Merged yours, Can, with Broadway's similar thread.
If you search for "Toilet rolls" instead of "Parsnips" you get less threads to look at!!

RE: Help - Parsnips and toilet roll - Can the Man - 20-05-2021

(20-05-2021, 01:51 PM)Veggie Wrote: Merged yours, Can, with Broadway's similar thread.
If you search for "Toilet rolls" instead of "Parsnips" you get less threads to look at!!
Thanks Veggie

RE: Help - Parsnips and toilet roll - PyreneesPlot - 20-05-2021

I'm trying it this year for parsnips.
Previously I haven't planted things out deeply enough and found that if the edge of the tube was above the soil surface the inside dried out and shrank back from the cardboard. Swede I think it was.