Garden And Gossip Forums
Mistakes - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General discussion (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Mistakes (/showthread.php?tid=1042)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Mistakes - Mark_Riga - 25-04-2021

I am always underestimating the determination of couch grass to go where it wants to. For example, I cleared enough land for an asparagus bed and meticulously got it out 2' all the way round. It still managed to send roots 3' into the middle of the bed before surfacing.

RE: Mistakes - Mikey - 25-04-2021

(24-04-2021, 10:38 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: Resowed too many tomato seeds after being impatient. Now I've got 80 plants to give away.

All my spares go to our local gardening club, they sell them on to help pay for the repair and maintenance of a house and grounds that was donated to the village by a couple of lovely ladies after they past away. The hall can be hired out by the community and has a beautiful garden.

RE: Mistakes - Moth - 25-04-2021

(25-04-2021, 12:14 AM)Spec Wrote: Another of my mistakes is not keeping notes, every year I start off with the intention of keeping a log, and every year I fail to do this, it's always" I will get it later" and ofcourse I forget to do it. By not doing it leads to more mistakes, which means a yearly repeat of mistakesRolleyes

On the same theme, not labelling ALL the modules is a mistake I make every year. I put in a label when I sow the seeds, then when I prick them out into various 6 cell trays I think I'll keep them all next to each other so only need that one label. Then perhaps a week or two later I shuffle trays round to get them all to fit under cloches/on windowsills, another two weeks and I've no idea which variety is what. Undecided

RE: Mistakes - doublyjonah - 25-04-2021

(25-04-2021, 11:13 AM)Moth Wrote:
(25-04-2021, 12:14 AM)Spec Wrote: Another of my mistakes is not keeping notes, every year I start off with the intention of keeping a log, and every year I fail to do this, it's always" I will get it later" and ofcourse I forget to do it. By not doing it leads to more mistakes, which means a yearly repeat of mistakesRolleyes

On the same theme, not labelling ALL the modules is a mistake I make every year. I put in a label when I sow the seeds, then when I prick them out into various 6 cell trays I think I'll keep them all next to each other so only need that one label. Then perhaps a week or two later I shuffle trays round to get them all to fit under cloches/on windowsills, another two weeks and I've no idea which variety is what. Undecided
This is one lesson I cannot believe I never learn after mixing up seedlings each year. (I'm currently using this strategy in the GH!)

RE: Mistakes - Mikey - 25-04-2021

I do that too, especially difficult when two plants share one tray!!

RE: Mistakes - Farendwoman - 26-04-2021

Likewise! I’m too tight with labels and always think that one is enough and I’ll either remember or recognise the plants/seedlings.
Of course I never do remember - and give away “lovely, sweet little cherry tomatoes” that turn out to be huge pasty jobs for cooking!

RE: Mistakes - Veggie - 03-05-2021

Not really a mistake, but with the benefit of hindsight - always buy a wheelbarrow with a puncture-proof tyre. Since I swapped the tyres, trundling around the hawthorn bushes has become a doddle, previously, it meant a puncture repair and was a right pain in the barrow.