Garden And Gossip Forums
Mistakes - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General discussion (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Mistakes (/showthread.php?tid=1042)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Mistakes - Greenfingers - 24-04-2021

My biggest mistake is letting my husband weed unsupervised. I am still not sure how the tulips have moved from a bed to a path but this week he managed to dig up my lavender (dead sticks he says).
However my asparagus, grown from seed, is not a mistake.
[attachment=2768]

RE: Mistakes - PyreneesPlot - 24-04-2021

While we're on the subject of asparagus (not a mistake as I love it, couldn't afford crowns and was happy to wait the 6 or 7 (?) years before we got decent harvests from seeds) spreading my own weedy homemade compost as a mulch on the asparagus bed was a Big No No.
As well as tryng to get the comfrey out, there is also feisty aquilegia and dandelions to deal with.

RE: Mistakes - Spec - 24-04-2021

(24-04-2021, 10:48 AM)Broadway Wrote: This will be my master post, will probably be updated a lot.

Mistake 1 - Trying to do things on the cheap, I could have spent a lot more but thought that's not the way!

- Growing asparagus and rhubarb from seed - They germinated and seemed to thrive last year. I eventually planted out circa 20 asparagus plants in a RB and 4 rhubarb plants in big pots. To date nothing has grown back, or nothing I can see.

- Believing I could get away with cheap free materials to bulk out the raised beds, I can't say what's "growing" in them looks particularly happy.

Thats not a mistake, that's an expiramentSmile Smile

RE: Mistakes - Broadway - 24-04-2021

(24-04-2021, 05:58 PM)Spec Wrote:
(24-04-2021, 10:48 AM)Broadway Wrote: This will be my master post, will probably be updated a lot.

Mistake 1 - Trying to do things on the cheap, I could have spent a lot more but thought that's not the way!

- Growing asparagus and rhubarb from seed - They germinated and seemed to thrive last year. I eventually planted out circa 20 asparagus plants in a RB and 4 rhubarb plants in big pots. To date nothing has grown back, or nothing I can see.

- Believing I could get away with cheap free materials to bulk out the raised beds, I can't say what's "growing" in them looks particularly happy.

Thats not a mistake, that's an expiramentSmile Smile
Thanks Spec fair point, that said I feel really demoralised with the whole plot now, should have done betterSadSad

RE: Mistakes - Admin - 24-04-2021

We all need to remember, todays disappointment is tomorrows opportunity Smile

It is better to fail trying, than not try at all

RE: Mistakes - JJB - 24-04-2021

Mistake 2 - Getting carried away with the thought of a lot of "Perennial Vegetables".

- Wasted far too must money and effort, I still want some but will cut back on the amount for next year. My thoughts are what survives this year is a bonus and I will add a new one each year.

Mistake 3 - General maintenance and refresh of the plot.

- As I've said the plot is private and someone kindly lets me use it for a token fee. If it were mine there are a number of elements I'd invest in including a new shed (which will also aid my water shortage) and get the greenhouse up a running.

I think I need to have a chat with them saying I'm willing to invest if they can give me some security, even it's for 2 - 3 years.

That's it for now......

Don't get disheartened Danny, it's your first year and it's all a learning curve and as you can see from my examples after some 40 years I still fluff it.  It's the trying that's fun.  We'll all try your keep your spirits up.  Hugs.

RE: Mistakes - Veggie - 24-04-2021

Danny, think how much you've achieved in the time you've had the plot. Look back at your old photos and pat yourself on the back. You've done really well.
After all my years of messing about in the muck I've never been able to grow a decent brassica or swede.......... lots of other things too. My solution is to concentrate on the easy stuff like beans and courgettes and leave the farmers to grow the hard stuff. All the plants I struggle to grow I treat as "experiments" and am overly pleased if something works.

RE: Mistakes - Bren - 24-04-2021

I make the same mistake every year I know how much space I have to grow so why do I keep on sowing to many seeds.  Blush

RE: Mistakes - toomanytommytoes - 24-04-2021

Resowed too many tomato seeds after being impatient. Now I've got 80 plants to give away.

Planted lettuce out too early. They got hit by the high, cold winds and a few of them haven't recovered.

Overwatered pepper and chilli seedlings when potting them on. Some of them were very stunted and didn't recover even after a month of no watering.

Used old potting mix for a lot of seed sowing, it has lost some of its structure and dries out too easily.

RE: Mistakes - Spec - 25-04-2021

Another of my mistakes is not keeping notes, every year I start off with the intention of keeping a log, and every year I fail to do this, it's always" I will get it later" and ofcourse I forget to do it. By not doing it leads to more mistakes, which means a yearly repeat of mistakesRolleyes