Garden And Gossip Forums
Mistakes - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General discussion (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Mistakes (/showthread.php?tid=1042)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Mistakes - PyreneesPlot - 23-04-2021

Thinking that because we have lots of space it would be fine to plant non sterile comfrey in the middle of the veg garden. Try weeding that out of your asparagus bed.

RE: Mistakes - Mamzie - 23-04-2021

Adopting a small black puppy because his eyes remind you of your SoulDog... StormPup (who I adore is now taller than our dining table sat down, 30kg, and helps himself to soft fruit direct from the bushes... Just ordered some wood to be delivered as we need to fence in a our veg garden and pond flower bed..

RE: Mistakes - Moth - 23-04-2021

Being unable to resist sowing things just because I can. I have 2 nectarines from seed that will outgrow their pots shortly and my garden is too small to keep them. The amount of acorns and chestnuts I've grown over the years is ridiculous - if I had the land I'd have a forest by now. And there's a mango sprout on the windowsill that can be kept (so goggle tells me) to a manageable 12 - 15 feet in a pot. Not on MY windowsill. It also takes ten years to fruit. Why have I grown it? Well, I had the stone, it looked ready to grow, and the pot was right there to put it in....

RE: Mistakes - JJB - 24-04-2021

For all her chivvying, I notice V hasnt owned up to any  yet.........I bet hers aren't mistakes, they'll be classed as 'random' Tongue

RE: Mistakes - Veggie - 24-04-2021

They're not "mistakes" - they're experiments that don't work. Wink

RE: Mistakes - Broadway - 24-04-2021

This will be my master post, will probably be updated a lot.

Mistake 1 - Trying to do things on the cheap, I could have spent a lot more but thought that's not the way!

- Growing asparagus and rhubarb from seed - They germinated and seemed to thrive last year. I eventually planted out circa 20 asparagus plants in a RB and 4 rhubarb plants in big pots. To date nothing has grown back, or nothing I can see.

- Believing I could get away with cheap free materials to bulk out the raised beds, I can't say what's "growing" in them looks particularly happy.

Mistake 2 - Getting carried away with the thought of a lot of "Perennial Vegetables".

- Wasted far too must money and effort, I still want some but will cut back on the amount for next year. My thoughts are what survives this year is a bonus and I will add a new one each year.

Mistake 3 - General maintenance and refresh of the plot.

- As I've said the plot is private and someone kindly lets me use it for a token fee. If it were mine there are a number of elements I'd invest in including a new shed (which will also aid my water shortage) and get the greenhouse up a running.

I think I need to have a chat with them saying I'm willing to invest if they can give me some security, even it's for 2 - 3 years.

That's it for now......

Ok, Here's one mistake I'll own up to.................. and it may make Broadway feel better.Wink

Asparagus! Bought a bundle of 24 plants (3 varieties) with asparagus knife thrown in made mounds, spaced and planted them as per instructions, waited about 2 years and half of them were never seen again. Dug up the survivors and moved them out of the "best" bed, replanted and a couple of years later (last year) finally managed to pick more than 1 spear. Didn't really enjoy it!
There's no sign of the plants this year and they're in the way of my revamp so they're finished. If I find any, I'll move them to an odd corner to live out their days as ferns.
Trying to grow Asparagus was a mistake for me - especially as I don't really like it...................but I do have an Asparagus knife to remember them by!

RE: Mistakes - Broadway - 24-04-2021

(24-04-2021, 11:06 AM)Veggie Wrote: Ok, Here's one mistake I'll own up to.................. and it may make Broadway feel better.Wink

Asparagus! Bought a bundle of 24 plants (3 varieties) with asparagus knife thrown in made mounds, spaced and planted them as per instructions, waited about 2 years and half of them were never seen again. Dug up the survivors and moved them out of the "best" bed, replanted and a couple of years later (last year) finally managed to pick more than 1 spear. Didn't really enjoy it!
There's no sign of the plants this year and they're in the way of my revamp so they're finished. If I find any, I'll move them to an odd corner to live out their days as ferns.
Trying to grow Asparagus was a mistake for me - especially as I don't really like it...................but I do have an Asparagus knife to remember them by!
Doesn't make me happy Veggie it does however make me reconsider buying 1-year crowns(I was going to look at this later today)!

Asparagus (and the other perennial veg) are (obviously!) occupying their space permanently - unless you grow them in pots that can be moved. Once they're planted, they're effectively dead space because you can't plant anything else there - although I did plant strawberries with the asparagus which worked well for the strawbs.
If you have a short term tenancy on your plot, its probably not worth the investment as it will be a couple of years before they crop well.

RE: Mistakes - JJB - 24-04-2021

I've also been a complete disaster with asparagus. I love it, P would rather have tinned. Three years and 6 +3 plants later I might have just one which will give me one or two spears. I'd rather have the space.

Another regular mistake i make is not thinning out beetroot, chard and carrots regularly. Happens every year and I have crowded plants which would have thrived better had I looked after them.

I also cram too much into too small a space.

Reading this I wonder how I manage to grow anything Smile