Garden And Gossip Forums
Second hand books I've bought - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Something for the bookshelf (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Thread: Second hand books I've bought (/showthread.php?tid=2233)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Second hand books I've bought - Small chilli - 14-10-2024

Luckily our charity shop still take gardening & cookery books. And I still want gardening books with pictures. Especially being dyslexic. Pictures are a must for me.

RE: Second hand books I've bought - Bren - 14-10-2024

I still buy cookery books usually from charity shops.
When I’m after a new recipe like to look at 4 or 5 book's picking the bits I like from each recipe then make a meal that suits us.

RE: Second hand books I've bought - JJB - 15-10-2024

The most depressing side of charity shop books is seeing your favourite treasured book on the shelves for peanuts.

RE: Second hand books I've bought - Mark_Riga - 15-10-2024

(Yesterday, 09:02 AM)JJB Wrote: The most depressing side of charity shop books is seeing your favourite treasured book on the shelves for peanuts.

You wouldn't be too depressed round here. The cheapest paperbacks in the local Oxfam are £3 now and hard backs will likely cost a tenner. And they are not in pristine condition by any means.

RE: Second hand books I've bought - toomanytommytoes - 15-10-2024

(13-10-2024, 01:21 PM)Veggie Wrote:
(13-10-2024, 08:34 AM)Small chilli Wrote: Of all the second hand gardening books you’ve brought, which have you found most useful ?
I'm not a fan of No Dig Charles either. All his books have the same information, jiggled about and regurgitated.                                                                                .
I haven't watched or read any of Charles' content since I found him in a video endorsing all sorts of quackery. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_HWRXm1jFg

RE: Second hand books I've bought - JJB - 15-10-2024

(Yesterday, 09:18 AM)Mark_Riga Wrote:
(Yesterday, 09:02 AM)JJB Wrote: The most depressing side of charity shop books is seeing your favourite treasured book on the shelves for peanuts.

You wouldn't be too depressed round here. The cheapest paperbacks in the local Oxfam are £3 now and hard backs will likely cost a tenner. And they are not in pristine condition by any means.

Me and my Yorkshire pal (who won't buy anything unless it's discounted)  Smile boycott Oxfam, we expect paperbacks to be under a pound. Our favourite charity shop does them for 10p. British Heart Foundation books are also pricey. The 10p charity shop manger say its because they are forced to apply generic prices whereas she has autonomy on price labelling.

RE: Second hand books I've bought - Vinny - 15-10-2024

(13-10-2024, 01:21 PM)Veggie Wrote:
(13-10-2024, 08:34 AM)Small chilli Wrote: Of all the second hand gardening books you’ve brought, which have you found most useful ?
Very few of them! Nobody gardens my way. Big Grin
Joy Larkcom's "Grow your own vegetables" for basic essential information - like when to sow, spacing etc. No pictures, just words. 
I like books about Forest gardening,  perennial veg, polyculture, herbs.
Books with the words Design & Plan in the titles have no chance. Not a fan of TV gardeners although Bob Flowerdew and Geoff Hamilton are OK.
I'm not a fan of No Dig Charles either. All his books have the same information, jiggled about and regurgitated.                                                                                .
You have mentioned the only two gardeners I used to follow! Sadly Geoff Hamilton is no longer with us  and I haven't heard a peep from Bob Flowerdew for a while? Both were down to earth gardeners but Geoff was very middle class wherea Bob struck a note with my Council house mentality!

RE: Second hand books I've bought - toomanytommytoes - 15-10-2024

Flowerdew is on Radio 4's Gardener's Question Time quite a lot. He has an active Twitter account too - https://x.com/FlowerdewBob

RE: Second hand books I've bought - Vinny - 15-10-2024

(Yesterday, 11:34 AM)JJB Wrote:
(Yesterday, 09:18 AM)Mark_Riga Wrote:

Me and my Yorkshire pal (who won't buy anything unless it's discounted)  Smile boycott Oxfam, we expect paperbacks to be under a pound. Our favourite charity shop does them for 10p. British Heart Foundation books are also pricey. The 10p charity shop manger say its because they are forced to apply generic prices whereas she has autonomy on price labelling.
AGE Concern used to be my favourite for books at 29p each and the shop always appeared to be full? Unfortunately it shut down though so maybe the pricing policy didn'twork! Sick