Garden And Gossip Forums
Samphire grass - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: Plots, pots and gardens (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=36)
+--- Forum: Growing at home (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Thread: Samphire grass (/showthread.php?tid=2175)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Samphire grass - zooe81 - 19-06-2024

When you harvest them, simply cut the stems just above ground level using scissors or a sharp knife so that you will have them next season.

RE: Samphire grass - Veggie - 23-06-2024

Since I've ordered some Samphire seeds from Chiltern I thought I should read up on how to grow it. I like this bit:-
"This plant will self-seed freely. Treat as a cut and come again for harvesting, leaving about 4 weeks between each cut. When the Samphire stems turn red it indicates it is about to flower and set seed. If you wish to have volunteer seedlings allow this process towards the end of the growing season."

RE: Samphire grass - Small chilli - 23-06-2024

I didn’t even consider looking on the website where I actually brought the seeds from, for information on how to grow them!
I’m really not very bright sometimes  Rolleyes Blush

RE: Samphire grass - Veggie - 23-06-2024

Here's the first part of the Growing advice - though you seem to be doing very well without it! :-
Germination Instructions

Sow indoors in spring. Surface sow onto moist, well-drained seed compost. Just cover seed with a sprinkling of soil. Place somewhere warm, ideal temp. 25°C. Germination takes 1-3 weeks approx. but can be erratic. Once seedlings are 2-3cm tall transplant to individual pots of free-draining sandy soil and grow on. Grow on under glass or acclimatise and place pots outside after danger of frost has passed.

Growing Instructions

Prefers a light, well-drained sandy soil in full sun. Samphire is best watered with a saline solution of 1 teaspoon of real sea salt dissolved in one pint (568ml) of water. Do not use table salt as this contains a caking agent which will kill the plant. Due to the plants salty requirements it is preferable to keep Samphire in a container or pot. Samphire is happy in a pot on a windowsill, container planted on the patio or in the garden. Keep the soil moist at all times. Harvest shoots from June-August, after which the shoots become woody.

RE: Samphire grass - Small chilli - 24-06-2024

I intend on turning this year’s tomato bed into a permanent samphire bed next year.  I’ll add more sand to the bed as well. I think it’s a perfect crop. Thanks to the saltwater, no weeding needed and the slug stay away. Perfect  Cool .

RE: Samphire grass - Small chilli - 24-06-2024

(17-06-2024, 12:05 PM)Veggie Wrote: Does Samphire grow on the coast near you?  There was some in the estuary near my cottage down west but I only picked a bit to nibble on, never actually enough to eat properly. With hindsight, maybe I should have!

(17-06-2024, 03:24 PM)Small chilli Wrote: I don’t think we have much if any around Mull.
After discussing this with Bob. We do have a very small patch somewhere on the island. One person knows its location. He won’t tell anyone where it is. Which is fair enough. No doubt it would be harvested to death very quickly. If its location became common knowledge.