Microgreens for the windowsill
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(28-03-2021, 05:23 PM)Veggie Wrote: Those salad packs are £1+ to buy. You could buy some Mixed Salad leaves/mesclun for about that and it will keep you in salad for weeks.

Something like this https://www.premierseedsdirect.com/produ...sclun-mix/ maybe.
I was thinking of summat to grow soil-less on window sill? Huh Apart from bean shoots of course.
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • JJB

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
From the website I posted earlier

"The growing media that we use for our salad cress is cellulose paper pulp. This comes from FSC sustainable trees from Sweden. The best description is that the pulp is half way between a tree and a sheet of A4 paper. For every tree that is harvested three more trees are planted. The carbon cycle is 40 years compared to peat which grows over 10s of 1000s of years."
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Do you think shredded damp cardboard would do the same job ?
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Eyren, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller

Just by chance I have a yellow stickered pot of cress which I've tipped out of its pot for you.Wink
I'm not sure what it is - it seems to be small lumps of paper about the size of giant couscous grains! The roots are holding it all together so I can't tweezer a piece out. It reminds me of soggy, shredded kitchen roll..
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Eyren, JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I might do some experimenting. I have lots of cardboard, clear plastic fruit punnets and sprouting seeds.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
I have already harvested a full tray of cress (and hoping to get a second crop) and have some pea shoots on the go. I've also got two sprouting jars. My radish sprouts were a success but amaranth has not gone well (in part because the seeds were smaller than the drainage holes in the lids!) I have some seeds that I brought with me when I moved here and bought a few other Premierseeds microgreens recently (via Amazon as it's more reliable to get stuff delivered to an Amazon locker than to my actual address) but haven't quite got round to sowing them. I have sweetcorn, fenugreek, pink kale, broccoli raab, and red clover ready to go.
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 4 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Bren, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Vinny Offline
How about using paper mache'd kitchen roll? Huh
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Start of the trout season tomorrow. From your link Veggie.

https://www.wsbentley.co.uk/lemony-trout...crogreens/

Wish I had some ready now, that's assuming I catch a trout, of course! Rolleyes
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I experimented with sowing in cotton wool - can't remember what happened though!!
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(28-03-2021, 01:58 PM)Veggie Wrote: I might try  this when its winter - part of my Winter Garden plan, maybe?

This is already part of my winter plan Big Grin

I even have a compartment in my seed storage box set aside for it, containing some magazine freebie salad mixes, a couple of varieties that are recommended for baby leaves (Bulls Blood beetroot, etc) and any tail ends of packets that I thought would work: lettuce, kale, pak choi, etc

I hadn't thought about growing them on shredded paper, but it makes sense as it's cleaner than compost and micro-greens don't really need any soil nutrients.
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Eyren's post:
  • JJB, Veggie, Vinny