Vinny's Allotment Plot
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
A question...........which way do the diagonals go - away from the entrance, or towards it?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(18-02-2021, 08:53 PM)Veggie Wrote: A question...........which way do the diagonals go - away from the entrance, or towards it?
Imagine the entry gate as the fishes head. Big Grin Away from the gate.
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Thank you. Smile
So the GH is the tail?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Vinny Offline
(18-02-2021, 09:50 PM)Veggie Wrote: Thank you. Smile
So the GH is the tail?
Yup, greenhouse and shed are at the tail end. Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie

Vinny Offline
Managed to sneak a couple of hours at the plot today. Supposedly the only dry day for a few days so I was itching to get started. Cool

Strung out another diagonal bed and another pathway. So that's three diagonal beds,three diagonal paths and one path parallel to the neighbours fence strung out. Smile
Part of one bed was where I had previously had a bonfire so I dug the offending area over. After raking I did my first planting of 2021 which were some shallots.The areas on the beds which haven't got crops on them were covered with cardboard with a dollop of soil on each sheet to stop it blowing away.
I think I will transplant my spring cabbage onto the cardboarded parts of the beds and just cut a hole through cardboard and plant each. I need to get some cheap compost or soil to cover cardboard temporarily but I still fancy the back to Eden method of growing.
I can get fresh woodchips for paths and composted woodchips for beds but would probably have to get them delivered to my home and then bag them up to take to allotment. 
The allotment track is like a swamp and I couldn't get them dumped there. Its quite hard to visualise what a pickup load of woodchips would look like and how long it would take to bag up.

Probably best to get all the beds and paths strung out first then it could go straight on. Idea

I did take some piccies today but haven't processed them yet. Hopefully I will add a few tomorrow. Rolleyes
[-] The following 6 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Bren, Broadway, Eyren, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Hopefully these piccies have loaded.

The area up from where I have planted the shallots will be sowed with parsnip seeds next time I am at plot.

I need to get the strawberries out of there present bed to allow me to make the next diagonal bed so they will go into somewhere thats been marked out.
My leeks are looking quite good in the greenhouse and I am pleased with their progress. Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 8 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Admin, Bren, Broadway, doublyjonah, Eyren, JJB, mcdood, Veggie

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
Your leeks look great, Vinny! Last year mine looked like that after all summer sitting outside  Sad
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Eyren's post:
  • mcdood, Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
(22-02-2021, 04:12 PM)Eyren Wrote: Your leeks look great, Vinny! Last year mine looked like that after all summer sitting outside  Sad
They are grown from leek grass taken off a single plant in October.
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Eyren, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
It's going to look amazing!

Vinny Offline
(23-02-2021, 10:11 AM)Scarlet Wrote: It's going to look amazing!
Dunno about amazing but it will certainly be different! Smile 

Popped in at plot just to check stuff over on way back from Doc's and harvested a bag of curly kale for my supper. Cool Too windy to do owt.
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Scarlet, Veggie