Vinny's Allotment Plot
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(25-01-2021, 09:39 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote: 20" and 40" may be a bit better. Give you an extra 2" for your big feet (must be big if your stride is a metre) and the beds would be about 28".
I have split the difference 34" position giving 24" beds and 20 " position giving 14" paths
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Mark_Riga

Vinny Offline
I managed to get a two hour pass from OH to attend the allotment. Rolleyes

I marked all the diagonal bed and path positions and hammered pegs in to suit. There will be six beds 24" wide leading off from the central pathway with 14" paths in between.

I then marked out with pegs and strung out the 14" path that will run parallel with the dividing fence, 24" in to allow for fruit tree growth.

Happy with what I got done and just glad to have made a start on something that is in my head only.  I was hoping to level the 14" path that I have strung out but the ground was just to frozen and unworkable. That's my first job once the permafrost abates and next I need to mark/peg positions down levelled path edge and string out a couple of diagonals. Big Grin
[-] The following 6 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, doublyjonah, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Visited plot yesterday to drop off three trays of ten leeks I had potted on into 4 inch pots and put them on the greenhouse staging.

It was only then that  I realised the enormity of my proposed new diagonal bed system, now the snow has gone. This will entail a lot of marking out and there will be a lot of soil to shift around. Even though my plot appeared fairly level it wasn't until some marking strings were added did I realise how much soil would need moving to level it up. Cry

I have set myself a goal to try and complete the diagonals on one side of the plot this year. As well as the levelling I will need to shift around plants that are already growing.

All the raised beds on one side will be added to the other side temporarily which will also entail working and transplanting growing crops.

I have already decided that the first diagonal will be filled with spring cabbage and the second one with strawberry plants to allow me to move one strawberry raised bed and free up the spring cabbage seed bed.

I just hope I don't get overwhelmed with the work required and gawd knows what the other plotholders will think when they see the plot in the transition stages. Rolleyes

Up to now I have talked a good idea, now its getting close to actually getting summat done. Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Scarlet, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Sounds fabulous, if a lot of hard work, Vinny. Do you have a mate with a drone to admire the layout from above?
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France

Broadway Offline
(17-02-2021, 10:23 AM)Vinny Wrote: Visited plot yesterday to drop off three trays of ten leeks I had potted on into 4 inch pots and put them on the greenhouse staging.

It was only then that  I realised the enormity of my proposed new diagonal bed system, now the snow has gone. This will entail a lot of marking out and there will be a lot of soil to shift around. Even though my plot appeared fairly level it wasn't until some marking strings were added did I realise how much soil would need moving to level it up. Cry

I have set myself a goal to try and complete the diagonals on one side of the plot this year. As well as the levelling I will need to shift around plants that are already growing.

All the raised beds on one side will be added to the other side temporarily which will also entail working and transplanting growing crops.

I have already decided that the first diagonal will be filled with spring cabbage and the second one with strawberry plants to allow me to move one strawberry raised bed and free up the spring cabbage seed bed.

I just hope I don't get overwhelmed with the work required and gawd knows what the other plotholders will think when they see the plot in the transition stages. Rolleyes

Up to now I have talked a good idea, now its getting close to actually getting summat done. Smile
Don't forget those videos VinnySmile
Regards..........Danny Smile

Vinny Offline
(17-02-2021, 11:00 AM)Broadway Wrote:
(17-02-2021, 10:23 AM)Vinny Wrote: Visited plot yesterday to drop off three trays of ten leeks I had potted on into 4 inch pots and put them on the greenhouse staging.

I would be a bit embarrassed to do a video now, but maybe after I have made a start I could try a few videos to show progress.  Rolleyes
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • JJB

Broadway Offline
(17-02-2021, 11:17 AM)Vinny Wrote:
(17-02-2021, 11:00 AM)Broadway Wrote:

I would be a bit embarrassed to do a video now, but maybe after I have made a start I could try a few videos to show progress.  Rolleyes
You have to do one now to show the progress, as much for you as us. I love looking at the old pictures of my plot when it was just 6ft high weedsSmile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • JJB

Vinny Offline
Got a bit of my mojo back today and made a start on the diagonal beds and paths. Cool I had to pull kale plants, leeks and red onions out of the areas designated for paths.
A lot more to do but two beds and two paths strung out. The beds were even the right width of 24 inches and paths 14 inches when I checked them.
It was a bit claggy and I finished up with platform soles of mud, but overall I think it will look OK when finished. Big Grin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 5 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, Eyren, JJB, Scarlet, Veggie

Broadway Offline
(18-02-2021, 05:28 PM)Vinny Wrote: Got a bit of my mojo back today and made a start on the diagonal beds and paths. Cool I had to pull kale plants, leeks and red onions out of the areas designated for paths.
A lot more to do but two beds and two paths strung out. The beds were even the right width of 24 inches and paths 14 inches when I checked them.
It was a bit claggy and I finished up with platform soles of mud, but overall I think it will look OK when finished. Big Grin
Looking good fellaSmile

Vinny Offline
(17-02-2021, 10:47 AM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: Sounds fabulous, if a lot of hard work, Vinny. Do you have a mate with a drone to admire the layout from above?
I have always fancied a drone myself TBH. I would like to get back into my metal detecting when I get a chance and a drone is a great way of sussing out likely sites. Big Grin
I am beginning to think I have too many hobbies and too much work to get through.  Rolleyes
[-] The following 5 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Veggie