Newbie here
Scarlettkitten Offline
(25-03-2021, 02:45 PM)Veggie Wrote: Hi Becky and welcome.Smile
Do you have any outdoor space?
Hi and thank you for the welcome. 

We have a small space outside but sadly it's covered in antiweed chips but I could pop a few pots out there in the summer months, otherwise we have the front window and the bedroom window for growing things right now.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlettkitten's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Pots are great - you can grow lots of different fruit and veg in pots. What are your favourites to eat and we'll rack our virtual brains and see if we can come up with some ideas for you. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Scarlettkitten, Small chilli

Scarlettkitten Offline
(25-03-2021, 06:18 PM)Admin Wrote: Welcome Smile We hope you enjoy the humour and find the information useful
Thank youfor the welcome, enjoying being a part of this forum.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlettkitten's post:
  • Admin, Can the Man, JJB

Scarlettkitten Offline
(25-03-2021, 06:35 PM)Veggie Wrote: Pots are great - you can grow lots of different fruit and veg in pots. What are your favourites to eat and we'll rack our virtual brains and see if we can come up with some ideas for you. Smile
Thank you, we love all sorts of veggies here. I have been toying with the idea of attempting to tomatoes and lettuce. My mum often grew cucumbers and tomatoes in the greenhouse where I grew up. So growing those would be fun.

Thank you for your help, I feel so new to all this but am enjoying it a lot Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlettkitten's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Tomatoes are a must grow!! If you have a sunny windowsill there are some dwarf tomatoes you can grow inside or, maybe look at one of the blight resistant toms that you can grow outside - like Mountain magic or Crimson Crush.
Lettuce and mixed salad leaves are easy in pots and you can keep some growing over winter too.
If you put some sticks in a large pot, you could grow an outdoor cucumber or some beans and peas.
A pot of strawberries for summer perhaps?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Scarlettkitten

mcdood Offline
Welcome Becky, I agree with Veggie on the tomatoes, so much nicer than any shop bought and fun to grow too.
[-] The following 4 users Like mcdood's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Scarlettkitten, Veggie

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
Hi Becky and welcome from over the water. Great idea to use pots, the other thing that I like to use are the long window boxes, they are great for growing scallions or spring onions depending on where you come from, here in Ireland we call them scallions. You can get white ones and red ones.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 4 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • JJB, mcdood, Scarlettkitten, Veggie

doublyjonah Offline
Welcome, Becky! Look forward to hearing about what you grow. We have limited space outdoors with enough sun to do anything with at home, so we have pots on our patio. Mostly flowers and herbs, but I also grow most of my tomatoes in pots.
[-] The following 5 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, mcdood, Scarlettkitten, Veggie

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(25-03-2021, 06:20 PM)Scarlettkitten Wrote: We have a small space outside but sadly it's covered in antiweed chips but I could pop a few pots out there in the summer months, otherwise we have the front window and the bedroom window for growing things right now.

Like Veggie said, pots are great - I'm growing a load of things in containers, even though I have my raised beds now. In some cases it's essential, for example I have blueberries in pots because our chalky soil is way too alkaline to grow them in the ground. In other cases, like with tomatoes, it means I can grow them in a warmer, more sheltered spot.

The important thing to consider is how much sunlight your back yard gets. If you get plenty of sun, then fruiting crops like outdoor tomatoes and climbing beans are a great choice; if it's a bit shady, you're better off with things like lettuce, spring onions and baby carrots. If it doesn't get any direct sunlight at all, you're going to struggle to grow anything edible apart from a few shade-loving herbs.

I have lots of spare seeds, so let me know if you'd like some - if we get a chance for a meet-up in early May, I could bung you a spare tomato and/or courgette plant as well!
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 5 users Like Eyren's post:

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
Hi Becky! Welcome to G&G.

Basil is a great windowsill crop, and I've had a pot of pak choi growing on the windowsill over winter that has provided lots of baby leaves for salad and cooking. Smile
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 5 users Like Moth's post: