When transplanting how deep do they go
Spec Offline
Some of my seedlings look a bit leggy, both flower and veg, I know that tomatoes can be planted up to the seed leaf but can you do the same with other seedlings, or are there some plants that you can't plant deeper than the the root ball?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spec's post:
  • Can the Man

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(12-03-2021, 11:59 AM)Spec Wrote: Some of my seedlings look a bit leggy, both flower and veg, I know that tomatoes can be planted up to the seed leaf but can you do the same with other seedlings, or are there some plants that you can't plant deeper than the the root ball?

I was watching Charles Dowding's propagation videos this very morning, and he says most seedlings can be planted deeply. The exception, if I remember correctly, was lettuce, as they have leaves low on the stem. I think if the stem is bare, it should be fine as long as the soil isn't waterlogged.

Edit: yes, it's lettuce that can't be planted deep. This was the video i was watching - the bit about planting out is near the end, around the 19 minute mark:

How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Spec, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
You can plant brassicas up to the seed leaves too.
Personally, I just poke a hole in the soil and drop the seedling - some end up deeper than others. Life too short to be precise. Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 6 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Eyren, JJB, Moth, Small chilli, Spec