Fruity signs of life - 2021
PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
(05-04-2021, 01:12 PM)Veggie Wrote: I'm hoping this is a Mirabelle plum! 
It flowered for the first time last year but there were no fruits, masses of blossom this year, so, fingers crossed for pollination.

Hope so! Mirabelle is the best plum in the world - not a fan of eating plums fresh but I could trough my way through a box of them! Sadly my new one bought last year looks very much like a dead stick Sad
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 3 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie, Vinny

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
It flowered for the first time last year but there were no fruits, masses of blossom this year, so, fingers crossed for pollination.

Wood pigeons round here seem to have acquired a taste for the young fruitlets of plums and I think last year went for pears as well so hope yours are safe.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Many years ago I bought some fruit trees from Aldi - an Apricot and a Mirabelle. One died and I lost the label on the other!!
I bought a Mirabelle du Nancy in 2017 and this one has its first flowers this year..............and they look the same as the Aldi survivor.
I also have a couple of flowers on a Moorpark Apricot and they are different to the other 2.

Hoping to taste some fruit for the first time this year - just one from each tree would make me happy. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(05-04-2021, 04:25 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote:

Wood pigeons round here seem to have acquired a taste for the young fruitlets of plums and I think last year went for pears as well so hope yours are safe.
Plenty of Woodpigs here so I'll probably find out!!
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Vinny

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
Buds on my apples, pear, cherries, blueberries, raspberries, Tay berry and rhubarb I’d sprouting well.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 3 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller

Yes, they eat all the buds - they ate 90% last year and they seem to be going for gold this year.
I never used to have this trouble?
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(05-04-2021, 09:30 PM)Scarlet Wrote:

Yes, they eat all the buds - they ate 90% last year and they seem to be going for gold this year.
I never used to have this trouble?

I don't think we used to have as many pigeons, farmers used to keep the numbers down. I not yet seen signs of them eating fruit buds but something is chucking all the horse chestnut buds onto the ground, maybe that's pigeons.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
They are a menace here. They even trample my allium, bluebells etc to nothing Sad

Sorry Veggies, but if I was a good shot I would shoot a dozen from my garden. I didn't mine one or two. I usually get a few nesting pairs now. I didn't even get any blackcurrants last year and they also snap the branches when sitting on them. They are a real menace.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
One of the few words that the dogs understand is "Pigeons". They go haring off around the garden, putting up the pigeons or squirrels. Same word means both - probably should call them Squidgeons.Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller

Quince flowers are beautiful and there are lots more on the tree this year. Fingers crossed there's more than 2 fruits.Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet, Small chilli