Dieting
Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
There's certainly medical evidence that limiting your "eating window" improves weight loss. Your metabolism basically has two modes: digestion and repair. It can't do both at once, because digestion requires a lot of enzymes and stuff, so the longer you can go between meals, the more time it can spend doing cleanup and maintenance. That includes turning to fat reserves for energy once you've burned up your meal. I couldn't manage OMAD myself, but I try to postpone breakfast until I'm genuinely hungry, and eat dinner at least a couple of hours before bedtime.

Personally I'm not keen on the whole keto/paleo/low-carb thing - sure it works in the short-term, but all that saturated fat is really bad for the arteries in the long term. Doctors who recommend WFPB (whole food plant-based) eating plans have been able to reverse coronary heart disease, atherosclerosis and type 2 diabetes in their patients, which is not to be sniffed at!

Plus, regardless of what we "evolved" to eat, remember that evolution is basically finished with you by the time you're forty, because you (or at least your ancestors) will have raised the next generation by then and passed your genes on to them. A diet designed for fast reproduction is not necessarily going to help you live a long and active old age Big Grin
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 5 users Like Eyren's post:
  • JJB, mcdood, Spec, Veggie, Vinny

Spec Offline
Fortunately when I turned 40 my kids wouldn't wear my genes as the were a/too old fashioned and b/too big at the waist for them, Big Grin
[-] The following 6 users Like Spec's post:
  • Eyren, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Veggie, Vinny

Spec Offline
Sorry Eyren I just couldn't let that go by without a comment and yes I know its different jeans Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Spec's post:
  • Scarlet, Veggie, Vinny

Spec Offline
(01-03-2021, 09:51 AM)Eyren Wrote: There's certainly medical evidence that limiting your "eating window" improves weight loss. Your metabolism basically has two modes: digestion and repair. It can't do both at once, because digestion requires a lot of enzymes and stuff, so the longer you can go between meals, the more time it can spend doing cleanup and maintenance. That includes turning to fat reserves for energy once you've burned up your meal. I couldn't manage OMAD myself, but I try to postpone breakfast until I'm genuinely hungry, and eat dinner at least a couple of hours before bedtime.

Personally I'm not keen on the whole keto/paleo/low-carb thing - sure it works in the short-term, but all that saturated fat is really bad for the arteries in the long term. Doctors who recommend WFPB (whole food plant-based) eating plans have been able to reverse coronary heart disease, atherosclerosis and type 2 diabetes in their patients, which is not to be sniffed at!

Plus, regardless of what we "evolved" to eat, remember that evolution is basically finished with you by the time you're forty, because you (or at least your ancestors) will have raised the next generation by then and passed your genes on to them. A diet designed for fast reproduction is not necessarily going to help you live a long and active old age Big Grin

Interesting information there Eyren, with Vinny starting this thread I have cut down on my bread intake though what I eat is frozen wholemeal bread toasted, which I think is less fattening, I am also aware that I eat a lot of "the wrong stuff" but changing my life long high fat dietary habit is rather difficult and as far as food is conserned, I am weak willedRolleyes
By the way there is a lot of milage that could be made with some of your postBig Grin but being the gentleman that I am I will let it pass Smile
  • Eyren, JJB, Vinny

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(01-03-2021, 04:02 PM)Spec Wrote: By the way there is a lot of milage that could be made with some of your postBig Grin but  being the gentleman that I am I will let it pass Smile

Thank you! I was aware when posting it that it might ruffle some feathers, but there's a lot of pseudo-science floating around on the interwebs - I've even fallen for some of it myself.

Luckily almost every expert agrees on the basics of "eat more fresh fruit and veg and less junk food", which I think we can all agree with as well - especially given the topic of this forum! Big Grin
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Spec, Vinny

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
(01-03-2021, 04:02 PM)Spec Wrote: ... I have cut down on my bread intake though what I eat is frozen wholemeal bread toasted, which I think is less fattening,

Because it's frozen, because it's wholemeal, or because it's toasted?  Angel Tongue
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 3 users Like Moth's post:
  • Spec, Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I have been trying this diet for a week now and find my appetite gets less each time I eat my single meal. The first day or two I was stuffing myself with as much as I could eat and felt bloated. Now I just eat a normal low carb meal and that sustains me quite easily for 24 hours. 
I have now got some cider vinegar and had a glass of fizzy water with cider vinegar added before bed. I woke up quite exhilarated and may stick to one coffee with cream in the morning and cider vinegar before bed.
Its hard to drink a gallon of water a day and I usually manage about 3 litre, but if I do feel hungry a drink of water takes the hunger pangs away. An oxo cube in a cup of water can also give a beef tea boost. I actually enjoyed salad yesterday for the first time in a while.

I would love to hear from anyone else who is dieting, and how they are getting on.
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, Moth, Spec

Spec Offline
(02-03-2021, 08:50 AM)Moth Wrote:
(01-03-2021, 04:02 PM)Spec Wrote: ... I have cut down on my bread intake though what I eat is frozen wholemeal bread toasted, which I think is less fattening,

Because it's frozen, because it's wholemeal, or because it's toasted?  Angel Tongue

I came across something once that said toasted from frozen no added sugar, wholemeal bread was less fattening than other breads, also I think better for your gut, a side benefit is if you get any suitable reduced priced because of end by date bread, it goes straight into the freezer anyway and there is no noticeable difference in taste between that and fresh, well not to me, also, I like reduced priceBig Grin
Almost as bad as Veggie with her yellow sticker questsBig GrinBig Grin
  • Moth, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(02-03-2021, 08:02 AM)Eyren Wrote:
(01-03-2021, 04:02 PM)Spec Wrote: By the way there is a lot of milage that could be made with some of your postBig Grin but  being the gentleman that I am I will let it pass Smile

Thank you! I was aware when posting it that it might ruffle some feathers, but there's a lot of pseudo-science floating around on the interwebs - I've even fallen for some of it myself.

Luckily almost every expert agrees on the basics of "eat more fresh fruit and veg and less junk food", which I think we can all agree with as well - especially given the topic of this forum! Big Grin
Spec isn't talking about your diet, but the fact that you mentioned "age" and being "past it at 40". For Spec, any mention of being half his age, is upsetting. Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Spec, Vinny

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(02-03-2021, 04:09 PM)Veggie Wrote: Spec isn't talking about your diet, but the fact that you mentioned "age" and being "past it at 40". For Spec, any mention of being half his age, is upsetting. Wink

I can empathise with that. I always feel miffed when I'm buying booze at the self-checkout and the shop assistant comes over and taps on the "Customer is clearly over 25" button. I know I'm long past 25, but it's the "clearly" that stings Big Grin
[-] The following 5 users Like Eyren's post:
  • JJB, Moth, Spec, Veggie, Vinny