Germination Issues?
Broadway Offline
(18-02-2021, 06:55 PM)Veggie Wrote: Just seen this article about heat mats - it may help you with your questions, Danny.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle...V-uU0VR8aM
Thanks Veggie, will read later as I'm shouting at the tv/football Smile
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
That'll generate some hot air.Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
(18-02-2021, 05:03 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote:
(18-02-2021, 03:47 PM)Broadway Wrote: TBH my main query was around watering, am I right in saying the consensus was water initially and that's it until they have germinated?
That's what I prefer, though I do water a bit if the surface of the compost is getting dry.
I have been using a spray bottle with my propogator if the compost appears to be drying I mist spray over it, and that way I’m not over wetting it. It seems to work for me.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 3 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • Eyren, JJB, toomanytommytoes

Broadway Offline
(18-02-2021, 07:07 PM)Broadway Wrote:
(18-02-2021, 06:55 PM)Veggie Wrote: Just seen this article about heat mats - it may help you with your questions, Danny.

Thanks Veggie, will read later as I'm shouting at the tv/football Smile
Again thanks Veggie

I think the piece that jumped out at me was "and if the soil around the seed dries out after the initial watering this can be fatal" Sad

Experiment time tomorrow!
[-] The following 3 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial

Thanks, Veggie, that's really useful for me too! My plan is to put everything (toms, peppers, chillies, aubergines) in the propagator at 25ºC to begin with, then when the tomatoes germinate I'll take them out and put them on the windowsill (or in the new conservatory if it's warm enough) and turn the heat up a degree or two. When the chillies germinate (fingers crossed!), I'll turn the heat off, put the tomatoes back in and keep the lights running for a few more weeks to ensure strong growth.

That's the theory, anyway! Being plants, they'll probably find a way to mess with my nice logical schemes  Rolleyes
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
My props all have capillary matting in the bottom - I have a big roll that I cut of sections. I always water this to stop the trays drying out.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Spec

Broadway Offline
Thanks Scarlet

I'll maybe put some in as I too have a roll I cut up. I've never put matting in electric props before.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(21-02-2021, 06:47 AM)Broadway Wrote: Thanks Scarlet

I'll maybe put some in as I too have a roll I cut up. I've never put matting in electric props before.
Mine originally came with a sheet with it. So I've just it for all of them.

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Mine came with capillary matting too.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Bren Offline
Mine did as well, its the size of a seed tray. I do have a dozen of those quarter size ones with lids like in Danny's propagator they're a handy size and 4 fit in my propagator.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bren's post:
  • JJB