Tomatoes for the windowsill
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Looks like F1 https://www.mandycanudigit.com/2019/08/2...9423828125
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
I thought I'd share some pictures of my windowsill tomatoes as they are looking really good and they are all now in their final containers (in an ideal world, I would go a bit bigger but I am limited by windowsill space, the amount of compost I have left, and just using recycled containers). They are from TMTT's seeds and there are two to three each of Jochalos, Pinocchio, Rosy Finch and Red Robin.

This is my set-up:

This is the window with the best aspect. It's the only one I can use on the brighter side of the flat, as the other three windows on that side are: 1) someone else's room, 2) the toilet, and 3) the bathroom. My room and the (otherwise unused) living room are both on the other side of the building, so not as good for tomatoes. I currently have radishes (didn't get any radishes as I crowded them too much, but they are flowering so I'm keeping them for the pods), dwarf sunflowers, cress, basil, mint, rocket, spring onions (from shop-bought), and various house-plants in the other windows. 

Just to the right of centre in this picture, you can just about see the first tomato that is forming:

It's on one of the Jochalos plants. I have definitely noticed that the Jochalos plants seem to have been the most vigorous of the four varieties, followed by the Pinocchios. The Red Robin and Rosy Finch are a bit more delicate, but they are also developing flower buds now. I can't wait to see how the tomatoes come out for all the different varieties. 

This really hasn't been a great year (and continues to be very challenging). I can't tell you how much it has helped to be able to go and stroke my tomatoes (seriously) from time to time, or stick my nose right into them to smell their tomatoey goodness. Thanks again to TMTT, and I will post more pictures soon.
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 11 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Admin, Bren, Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga, MartinH, Scarlet, Small chilli, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
They look very healthy, well done. Smile
There's something very special about the scent of tomato leaves - the smell of summer.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, JJB, Proserpina

Bren Offline
Nothing tastes and smells as nice as home grown toms.
[-] The following 4 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Proserpina, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
You've done really well under very difficult circumstances Pros, your toms are looking good and healthy.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, Proserpina, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
There's no shame in stroking tomato plants. Sometimes I talk to mine Wink Giving them a little shake can help pollination too.
[-] The following 5 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Proserpina, Small chilli, Veggie

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
Something bad is happening to my windowsill tomatoes. After I watered them yesterday, one just keeled over. I managed to get it propped up again, supported by the other plants, but the stem is part broken. I hoped it was still going to be able to move water up from the roots but it seems not as it's completely wilted today. I tried seeing if I could pot it deeper so the broken stem was underground, but I don't have any containers deep enough for that even after removing most of the existing compost from the root ball. So, it looks like I'm losing this plant and all the tomatoes that were just waiting to ripen.

Now I see that two or three other plants also look a bit floppy and I don't know why. I have watered them quite a lot this last week, but it's been extraordinarily hot and they are in very small containers and have seemed to dry out between waterings. I may also have given them tomato feed (once per week at most) that is a touch too concentrated as I am watering using a 750ml bottle and the measuring cap is not sensitive enough for such small volumes of water. Otherwise, I don't think they have been subjected to any mistreatment.

I feel incredibly guilty about killing one of these lovely plants and will be really gutted if I lose any more, but I don't know what to do differently. Now the weather is a bit cooler, I can cut back on the watering a bit, and I don't need to feed them again. But if it gets really hot again, they are going to need daily watering or they will die anyway.

My poor little tomatoes ☹️☹️☹️
[-] The following 2 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Not sure if this is an option but............you could take off the snapped part and root it in water. Then you can replant it. Or, tape the broken part together - as you might a broken finger!! You could even splint it.Smile
If you need any more tomatomedical advice, just ask. Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
I think that might have worked at an earlier stage (indeed, I saved one with a snapped stem when they were seedlings) but not at the point where it had already set a few trusses. It bent right at the bottom of the main stem. I don't think it was top-heavy, it just lost the will to live.

Thankfully, a couple of the other droopy ones were actually just a bit dry and have perked up with some top-down watering (I have been watering bottom up as I am a bit plagued with fungus gnats, but a couple of the containers seem to struggle to draw water up from the bottom).
[-] The following 1 user Likes Proserpina's post:
  • JJB