What's flying near you?
Bren Offline
Had Goldfinches in the garden today.
[-] The following 6 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, Eyren, Jimny14, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Unusually, we have one solitary long tailed tit visiting the fatball feeder. Normally they arrive in flocks. I'm hoping the solitary one is nesting nearby. A pheasant kept me company in the garden when I was in the GH, making an awful racket.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, Mark_Riga, Veggie

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
This might explain what happened all my cherry buds last year. There are always bullfinches in my garden.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 2 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
When I was making my morning cuppa at 7am today, I spotted not one but two jays in the hawthorn tree - I guess our neighbourhood rogue has a mate Big Grin

I did a bit of googling to find out how best to feed them - apparently they like peanuts, but are quite shy for corvids. So when I was in the garden centre this morning I was very pleased to find a handy mesh feeding tray that I could put in the tree where they'll hopefully feel safe.

I was able to fasten it round an almost vertical branch and bend it a little so it was level, then I filled it with peanuts and suet pellets. Hopefully they'll find it and stop raiding the small hanging feeder for the cracked corn!
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
A farmer's been muck spreading nearby and when I went for a walk there were literally hundreds of seagulls in 2 fields. Never seen so many even at the seaside. Must have been good stuff he was spreading.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • Veggie

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
The jays have discovered the mesh tray I bought about a week ago - this lunchtime I went out to do some work in the front garden and caught one of them eating the peanuts I'd put in it Big Grin

Then while I was stretching my back after being bent down sieving compost, I spotted a pair of long-tailed tits on the suet block feeder. There was often a whole little flock of them on my neighbour's feeders in the summer, but he's sold his house and moved down south to be near his daughter, so I've taken up the baton!
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Eyren's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
An amazing sight today, at least thirty Griffin vultures climbing a thermal right above the house. We rarely see them except when up in the mountains.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 5 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Eyren, JJB, Mark_Riga, Moth, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've had to put tights on my wing mirrors - doesn't everybody?Wink
The sparrows have been attacking the mirrors and pooing all over the doors, while they wait for their turn to chase off their "rival" who looks surprisingly like them!!
First time I saw them a couple of days ago I was fascinated - today, having to scrub off their mess, I am not quite so enchanted.

My socks weren't big enough to go over the wing mirrors so I had to rummage around for a pair of tights (pop-socks actually)!! Hope it works but I must remember to remove them before I drive anywhere - I can imagine the comments. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Eyren, JJB, Moth, PyreneesPlot

Bren Offline
Not heard of that happening before Veggie but I can imagine how much mess they leave behind Sad
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bren's post:
  • Veggie

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(21-03-2021, 12:03 AM)Veggie Wrote: I've had to put tights on my wing mirrors - doesn't everybody?Wink
The sparrows have been attacking the mirrors and pooing all over the doors, while they wait for their turn to chase off their "rival" who looks surprisingly like them!!
First time I saw them a couple of days ago I was fascinated - today, having to scrub off their mess, I am not quite so enchanted.

My socks weren't big enough to go over the wing mirrors so I had to rummage around for a pair of tights (pop-socks actually)!! Hope it works but I must remember to remove them before I drive anywhere - I can imagine the comments. Smile

I'm just glad the current generation of blue tits hasn't learned (yet) to peck through milk bottle caps. Early in last year's lockdown we started getting our milk delivered three times a week, to cut down on trips to the supermarket, and it comes in returnable glass bottles with foil caps, just like when we were kids!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Eyren's post:
  • Moth