Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • mcdood, Veggie

Spec Offline
(10-02-2021, 10:57 AM)JJB Wrote:
(10-02-2021, 09:29 AM)mcdood Wrote:
(09-02-2021, 12:45 AM)Mark_Riga Wrote: I've grown shallots quite often but the only thing we have used them for is pickling. Are there many other things they can be used for that they are better than onions?

I've just had one this morning along with some cheese in a sandwich Smile

I was just going  to 'like' your post Mcdood, but just couldn't bring myself to do it, raw onions at this time of day (or any time for that matter) is eeewwww Sick , now cooked ones I can understand.   No kisses for you from your OH this morning then? Big Grin

Your as bad as my OH I like to take a spoon full of honey and garlic in the morning then I get nothing but moans because of the smell of garlic
Also when I was younger I worked with a number of men who would eat an onion every day, some would coat them in clay and bake them but most would eat them raw, as they said that it kept you clear of the cold and sure enough no one was ever off with a cold
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(10-02-2021, 11:10 PM)Spec Wrote:
(10-02-2021, 10:57 AM)JJB Wrote:
(10-02-2021, 09:29 AM)mcdood Wrote:
(09-02-2021, 12:45 AM)Mark_Riga Wrote: I've grown shallots quite often but the only thing we have used them for is pickling. Are there many other things they can be used for that they are better than onions?

I've just had one this morning along with some cheese in a sandwich Smile

I was just going  to 'like' your post Mcdood, but just couldn't bring myself to do it, raw onions at this time of day (or any time for that matter) is eeewwww Sick , now cooked ones I can understand.   No kisses for you from your OH this morning then? Big Grin

Your as bad as my OH I like to take a spoon full of honey and garlic in the morning then I get nothing but moans because of the smell of garlic
Also when I was younger I worked with a number of men who would eat an onion every day, some would coat them in clay and bake them but most would eat them raw, as they said that it kept you clear of the cold and sure enough no one was ever off with a cold

Garlic and raw onions are a definite traditional remedy, Spec, just not for me in the morning.  Smile At work, my colleague at the next desk would insist on cheese and raw onion sandwiches for lunch and although I moaned like Billy-O that she stunk the office out,  she took no notice, until I retaliated with hardboiled egg sandwiches.  We compromised eventually. The upside was no one ever bothered us in the afternoonBig Grin
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Spec Offline
See raw onions are good for a lot of thingsBig GrinBig Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spec's post:
  • JJB

Broadway Offline
Ok I've received my zebrune seeds.

Am I ok to sow them inside now and plant out early March?
Regards..........Danny Smile

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
At my local Aldi they had what I call eschallots (torpedo shallots, which I know won't split)) and normal shallots for 69p a packet . I bought some normal shallots and will use them as an addition to my saved shallots for planting. Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • JJB

toomanytommytoes Offline
(13-02-2021, 07:27 PM)Broadway Wrote: Ok I've received my zebrune seeds.

They might still be too small by early March, I find onions a bit slow to get going.
[-] The following 1 user Likes toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Broadway

Broadway Offline
(14-02-2021, 08:18 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote:
(13-02-2021, 07:27 PM)Broadway Wrote: Ok I've received my zebrune seeds.

They might still be too small by early March, I find onions a bit slow to get going.
Thanks TMTT

So visually what size before you plant out?

toomanytommytoes Offline
Usually when the roots are coming out the bottom of the module cell, so the clump holds together when transplanting. So probably when they are about 3 inches tall or so.
[-] The following 2 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Broadway, Mark_Riga

Broadway Offline
(14-02-2021, 08:29 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: Usually when the roots are coming out the bottom of the module cell, so the clump holds together when transplanting. So probably when they are about 3 inches tall or so.
Cheers