Shallot Growing 2021
JJB Offline
Moonraker
I use mine next year but they're the sort that split into bunches of separate bulbs. As Veggie says 'bigguns get little 'uns, little 'uns get bigguns'
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, mcdood

mcdood Offline
Can I replanted some this year to collect seed from and they've grown fine. I'd think they'd be Ok but will be more prone to bolting, worth an experiment with a few I'd say.
[-] The following 2 users Like mcdood's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man

mcdood Offline
Danny regarding the ongoing care of the bulbs, they are currently outside on metal racks with a makeshift glass covering over the top as it's been very wet. Once dry I'll cut off the tops clean up the bulbs to get rid of any soil and then store them in plastic trays in the garage. Zebrune usually keeps very well.
[-] The following 3 users Like mcdood's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(08-08-2021, 09:10 AM)JJB Wrote: I use mine next year but they're the sort that split into bunches of separate bulbs. As Veggie says 'bigguns get little 'uns, little 'uns get bigguns'
Did I say that???

As for 2021 shallots - do you remember that I had a double delivery of shallots?
Q. How many did I plant and How many did I harvest?

A. None and None. Blush They're still sitting in a tray waiting for the right moment. Wink Maybe next year!!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, mcdood

Admin Offline
The Boss
Just as a point of clarity, when we talk of 'Zebrune' please remember these are actually onions, not shallots.

They get their shallot handle as shops and chefs refer to them as banana shallots.
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 4 users Like Admin's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, mcdood, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
(08-08-2021, 11:07 AM)Veggie Wrote:
(08-08-2021, 09:10 AM)JJB Wrote: I use mine next year but they're the sort that split into bunches of separate bulbs. As Veggie says 'bigguns get little 'uns, little 'uns get bigguns'
Did I say that???

As for 2021 shallots - do you remember that I had a double delivery of shallots?

A. None and None. Blush They're still sitting in a tray waiting for the right moment. Wink Maybe next year!!

I would think "Maybe next year!!" as I can't believe A (None and None) and B would now be next year.

I've a feeling it was Vinny that said that about bigguns and littluns.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I'm sure you're right about Vinny and his "bigguns". Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(08-08-2021, 11:41 AM)Mark_Riga Wrote:
(08-08-2021, 11:07 AM)Veggie Wrote:
Did I say that???

I would think "Maybe next year!!" as I can't believe A (None and None) and B would now be next year.

I've a feeling it was Vinny that said that about bigguns and littluns.
I probably got it from a book, but once again,vegetables don't read books so it may not work! Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, mcdood, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I can vouch for planting bigguns as that is what I did. Got mainly little ones but enough big ones to do the same next year.

I misread Veggies Q&A as 3 options for the answer - but it is obviously just 1.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie