Setting up a propagation bench in the GH
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(08-02-2021, 08:50 PM)Veggie Wrote: Its ok Spec, we all do whatever we're capable of, and, when we're not, we have to pay someone to do it for us. Of course, if you'd lived nearer.......Smile
Haha! My thought exactly....I'd make a dozen cakes for someone to set me up a hotbox on the opposite side of the greenhouse! Big Grin

Spec, there was no offence taken - I knew it was pricier - I went through your list and priced the lot up. It was just my skills I was worried about. This thing I can unroll, plug in and go. 
I will add a fleece tent - I can manage that as it's fabric/I'll use poles and clothes pegs.

I've only dipped my toe in after reading your post - it shoved me in the right direction. Smile
I've wanted one for a long time.
[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Spec, Veggie

Spec Offline
Scarlet I can't recommend it highly enough, when OH wants me to do any housework I don't want to do I can use it as an excuse, "sorry darling I need to go and check the seeds" a great way of dodging housework, oh wait your one of those that always wants tidy homesSmile Big GrinBig Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Scarlet, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
What’s a tidy home?
[-] The following 3 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • Eyren, Scarlet, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(09-02-2021, 08:56 PM)Farendwoman Wrote: What’s a tidy home?
Haha! I dunno.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Veggie

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial

I have a chalkboard in the kitchen that has this image in the upper part of the frame:

How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Eyren's post:
  • JJB, Scarlet, Spec, Veggie

Spec Offline

(09-02-2021, 10:08 PM)Scarlet Wrote:
Haha! I dunno.

Let my wife know you are coming for a visit and you would see a tidy home, if she wanted it kept tidy she would put me outRolleyes and I have found most that almost every woman is the same, I was the bane of my mothers life because I am not tidy and my wife is the same, I get piles of my stuff left at various places in the house and if you think I am hen pecked, your rightBig Grin
[-] The following 4 users Like Spec's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, Scarlet, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
    Ok, so probably not those most cost effective but here's me setting up my new heated bench - and yes, super excited!!!

Polystyrene from the builder!

Polystyrene laid on top of a sheet of plywood ( left over from sons covid/summer DiY project)
Taped up with a bit of gaffer tape - stolen from the builderWink

The heat mat comes delivered in a roll with the thermostat attached. Roll this out on the top of the polystyrene

Cover the polystyrene with a sheet of durable plastic - I had some pond liner left over from my pond/well refurb a few years ago

I cut it to fit the table and used the gaffer tape to stick it down - hoping to take this back up in May - so it's not a permanent fixture. I need this space for Tom's!

The thermostat is attached to the heat mat via a wire and then the thermostat has this probe - I unwound the wire and placed the probe flat on top of the pond liner

I then covered the table in capillary matting - sandwiching the whole lot.

With proper DIY technique I then zip tied the thermostat to the glazing boards on the greenhouse windows.

Set up and ready to plug in and test tomorrow.
Possibly would be better if I'd made a wooden box? But I think this will do for me.
All ready for my dahlia cuttings Smile
[-] The following 5 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Spec, Veggie

Spec Offline
Looks very good Scarlet, I wish you well with it, only thing I think I would do is tuck the edge of the capillary matting underneath its self just incase it drips the moisture off the mat, though not sure if that would happen, by the way whatsize is your greenhouse?
ps. Can I put my name on your heat mat if you decide you don't want it, I will send you my name and addressBig Grin
[-] The following 5 users Like Spec's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Spec - I'm not giving it away! If it works well for me I may try to make a DIY one....

The greenhouse is 20ft x 8Ft.

Good be point about the capillary mat. I will do that tomorrow. It would have been better in a box I think. Just no bandwidth at the moment for a big project.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
That's going to be amazing, Scarlet! Well done. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Scarlet